This weekend fender repair

Flyer58

YJ Enthusiast
I had a strange rust hole on the inner fender well near where the horn attaches. It was patched years ago but it didn't last.

I made a paper template then cut out the patch and formed it to fit over the fender, then tack welded it in place.

Next, while holding the cutting wheel at about a 30 degree angle I under-cut along the edge of the patch through one tack at a time, starting with a corner, and pressed the patch down level with the fender metal as I re-tacked it in place. Then continue around the perimiter. This method makes for a good narrow cut to tack into place and no additional grinding to fit.

Sanded it all level and with a touch of putty by the tacks, prime and paint and it's all good.

Rattle can Rust-Oleum for the LOL.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Chris
You finished it with rattle can paint? It looks like a dead-on match. I'd like to see it from 6 feet away. From close up I can't even tell.

Just plain gloss black. You may have to stand a bit further from the monitor to get a 6ft view :)

This was only the inner fender area and if I decide to paint the outside I'll spend a lot more time and money to try and get it right. This will mostly be out of view beind I the coolant tank, air filter box, and other items. Over all the Jeep is in good shape with only one other rust spot by the lower front corner by the door. I can't see where it's ever been repainted but the paint is very thin and easily scratches.

Here's the fender and the side panel that's next.

7.jpg
8.jpg

Some more trimming and bending before tacking the pieces in place. Just a little more to do and it's coming along faster than I expected.

fp4.jpg
fp5.jpg
fp6.jpg
fp7.jpg