Talk me out of this :0

Gilaguy23

YJ Enthusiast
Cant seem to get this out of my mind, 60th B day is coming up and the wife asks what do you want??. I have a 91 YJ, 2.5/5 spd. Running 31's on factory ugly alloy rims now. Been chewing on the idea of 32's or 33's with black steelies. 95% of its use is forest roads and light forest 4x4 trails,high desert sandy type stuff which were surrounded by. When I run to town 15 miles each direction its fine now. 55mph limit and if im bucking a headwind its not unusual to have to use 3rd doin 45ish to get back home. I need not ask after numerous vehicle builds to resell....but, I am. Will I be sorry with 33's? or 32's?

Last edited:
Probably, maybe, my 2.5 couldn't beat it's way out of wet paper bag with the 32s & 4.10s.
But I am running very high rolling resistance Swampers.
Since the 4.88s, 70 no prob, I even got to use 5th gear!
Gear change may cost a bit more than wheels & tires, but probably not by that much.
I think that's where I would spend my Birthday money:)
I understand not wanting ugly wheels (though I never understood the black wheels), just not my style.
Always been more of a body color match guy, guess that's just the old Hot Rodder in me...

Gotta say your white YJ looks great with your wheel setup. Ive even tossed around chrome spokes or modular old school style. Just not much of a chrome fan anymore. This may sound arrogant or perhaps Im disillusion somewhat. Long ago (70ies) when I bought my first FJ40 that was bone stock I put Armstrong TruTracks, if you recall those, and white spokes. Shortly after I painted the spokers black and pinstriped the edge with red pin stripe tape. I knew the guys at what was then I think the only, and original, Big Brand tire and frequented Burbank Spring that I believe later became the first 4 wheel parts wholesaler stores. Seemed shortly after several trips to either over some months I started seeing Black wheels for sale at the shops. Im not much for bling and prefer utilitarian style setups. If I wasn't such a cheapo turd order 5 plain 15x8 steel wheels from Stockton wheel and be done with it.

Bought a 1990 YJ a few months ago on my 74th birthday. Decided that I really wanted to go retro with the wheels. Came with a set of Dick Sepek's. There's a website that sells original wheels, so I bought a set. They're used but look brand new. And I bought the hub caps at my local Jeep dealer. Surprised I could still get them. In the picture the tires are 26". Discounttire made a mistake, so I'm going back to get 30s. I go off road to Jeep Jamborees twice a year.

yj with hubcaps - 1.jpeg

Reactions: jeepjoe43
Bought a 1990 YJ a few months ago on my 74th birthday. Decided that I really wanted to go retro with the wheels. Came with a set of Dick Sepek's. There's a website that sells original wheels, so I bought a set. They're used but look brand new. And I bought the hub caps at my local Jeep dealer. Surprised I could still get them. In the picture the tires are 26". Discounttire made a mistake, so I'm going back to get 30s. I go off road to Jeep Jamborees twice a year.

View attachment 117895
What was the website for the wheels?

Collins bothers in Texas also sells used OE wheels. You YJ looks great with the stock steelies. Id take on a set of those as well over my fugeely wheels. I think those particular wheels are 6" wide. Wonder the offset with 31's if they will rub the leafs worst then my 15x7's.

I used to be a big fan of the old 5 spoke Mag wheels, just not on a Jeep...
Way back when, if you had Mags, you had something special.
Today everything on the road has aluminum wheels, and nothing is special.

Mags like in the old US mag deep dish jobs? Dont see them much anymore but I recall jeep having a version that cam factory with them. A copper colored body, white graphics and the good old mags. Might have been a cj5 Levi edition??

Reactions: jeepjoe43
Yup the deep dish ones that were actually made from magnesium.
Those and the old style Hillebrand wheels!
You are correct on the CJ5 Levi edition, I'd forgotten all about that one.