Stock intake manifold

JeepJeep1

Hey all, first time asking, but reading along for a few, on a way cool site for us YJ owners!
On my 89 4.2 I've decided to completely redo the exhaust and put a Clifford manifold in and in that process I decided to keep the original stock aluminum intake. When I went to gasket match the ports, found out how rough the intake mani is inside each port!! So my question, has anybody out there smoothed it out, you know, clean it real good, sand it down and/or grind it down? and how did you go about doing it!?!
I can only get in each port with the arbor and 120 & 220 sanders down to begining of the turns. ? Then too, do you have a real "breathing" GAIN after, making better efficiency or little more HP?

Might be best just to match the port openings and gasket so there's no sharp edges protruding. As for polishing the intake a little turbulence can be better than a mirror smooth surface for mixing the air/ fuel.

No, no polishing will be done. Only was considering sanding w 120/220 , from experience the best atomization happens with rough area around the perimeter of the cylinder or Border. That's why I was curious to see if we really get a better is it worth it efficiency with a smoother intake on these guys. Being that my gaskets are new and everything's nice and clean on the faces, it wouldn't be too bad to pull it back off and go further if I do get some gains as I am right now.
Unless somebody else has more input for me & us here in the next few days before the weekend 🤞