Steering "pops" when turning past center position

Tanker_01

I noticed that my '89 YJ "pops" when passing the middle point of steering when on the ground. There is no audible noise its visual and you can feel it through the steering wheel. I could not get it to do it when up on jackstands it only happens when the tires are on the ground. I can very slightly feel it in the steering wheel. I do not think it happens when I am in motion only when sitting still. Is this something to be worried about? Has anyone else had this happen?

I have 3" lift shackles and RC springs. I do have the trackbar relocation kit installed as well and the lift kit pitman arm.

With leaf springs I've tracked down the clunking noise in steering to worn ball joints or tie rods ends.

With the front off the ground on jack stands grab the top and bottom of the tire and rock the top in and out to see if there's play. Then grab the front ad rear of the tire and rock them shake them (left turn-right turn) feeling for play.

With weight on wheels - engine off - I've had held on the different steering parts while someone turns the steering wheel to I can pinpoint the sound/joint.

Just don't get run over and feel free to smack them if they blast the horn while you're under there. :)

I checked all the ball joints and unless its only doing it under the weight of the vehicle they are all still nice and tight. I brought it up to a friend who has worked on alot of jeeps and straight axles and he said there is something called tie rod roll? I guess it happens when you have a high enough lift the tie rod cams over on the ball and socket and does exactly what I'm describing. Apparently theres some plastic thing you can put on it to eliminate the feeling of it. I will have to look into it further but it seems its not anything abnormal.

Reactions: Flyer58
With leaf springs I've tracked down the clunking noise in steering to worn ball joints or tie rods ends.

With the front off the ground on jack stands grab the top and bottom of the tire and rock the top in and out to see if there's play. Then grab the front ad rear of the tire and rock them shake them (left turn-right turn) feeling for play.

With weight on wheels - engine off - I've had held on the different steering parts while someone turns the steering wheel to I can pinpoint the sound/joint.

Just don't get run over and feel free to smack them if they blast the horn while you're under there. :)

Thats just it though theres no noise! I checked all the ball joints and everything. apparently it is likely something called tie rod roll.

Reactions: Flyer58