Starter issues

Fuzz409

I’m at my wits end…..I’ve replaced my starter 6 times in the last few years on my 1988 4.2 liter. It works for a few months then turns over hard and or disengages. It have adjusted the timing several times, replaced the entire distributor, replaced the timing chain and gear. When I look up the starter that’s supposed to be on it, it’s different than the ford type starter that is on it (the other won’t fit). I also have switched it back to a manual transmission with that flywheel which looks good. Previous owner had converted it to an automatic. I’ve tried different brand starters and still happening. 2 of the previous starters broke the bendix gear in half. Please help before I set her ablaze 😭

I cant recall on a 258,been years, if you can actually see where the ring gear and starter teeth mesh but if you can something like a paper clip will do for the clearance needed in one ring gear tooth valley. Its not much but enough to prevent the binding that can occur. If you cant see in there try you tubing a video. In the 2.5 you cant see and the last one I replaced the install directions give you a paper that explains the sound you'll hear when to tight. Kinda lame but better than nothing. After 6 starters Id try another supplier if you haven't already and pay super close attention to setting the starter in place to see it it feels like its being held back the slightest bit from sitting 100% flat o the mounting spot. The starters should come with a shim for that purpose. They are something like 20th thick or so and one typically does the trick from my experience.

I cant recall on a 258,been years, if you can actually see where the ring gear and starter teeth mesh but if you can something like a paper clip will do for the clearance needed in one ring gear tooth valley. Its not much but enough to prevent the binding that can occur. If you cant see in there try you tubing a video. In the 2.5 you cant see and the last one I replaced the install directions give you a paper that explains the sound you'll hear when to tight. Kinda lame but better than nothing. After 6 starters Id try another supplier if you haven't already and pay super close attention to setting the starter in place to see it it feels like its being held back the slightest bit from sitting 100% flat o the mounting spot. The starters should come with a shim for that purpose. They are something like 20th thick or so and one typically does the trick from my experience.
I will add that It would be a good idea to double check that the flywheel that you are using is correct. Especially since it was an automatic and you can only get a ford starter to work.