Speedometer

BrenH02

I have a 1992 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 5 speed. The speedometer isn’t working I just changed the speed sensor located on the transfer case. Wired in the new plug, but the plug as no power. All fuses have power. Would I be able to get direct power to the speed sensor itself? Thank you everyone.

The speed sensor itself could be bad. Also, follow the three wires a little further back to make sure there is no damaged wire. A buddy of mine just went through the same thing. First he changed the speedo gear thinking that was bad, didnt fix the problem. He started looking a little more and was going to replace the sensor next when he found one of the wires damaged a little further back in the harness.

I have a 1992 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 5 speed. The speedometer isn’t working I just changed the speed sensor located on the transfer case. Wired in the new plug, but the plug as no power. All fuses have power. Would I be able to get direct power to the speed sensor itself? Thank you everyone.
the FSM shows all you need to know here. VSS , vehic speed sensors.
the 93 (same as 92/?) has electronic dash speedometer
so fuses are first not wires and gears first;. F9 is it but tacho dies too.
fuses. related must be good first.
is tachometer dead then fuse 9 to cluster pin 19 is blown
VSS cluster is pin 13, it is PULSES per rear prop shaft turns

now sheet 11, fsm yj
is wiring to the box vss
i will post that now.
Vss plug has 3 pins, 1 power, 1 grounds and pulses out,, the power pin is also crank sensor power , if dead engine is dead 100%
vss runs off 8vdc power output of PCM but we know that is good ,engine not dead.
the 8v and ground must good to VSS
if is,then it does pulse
if not the sensor is bad or pin 1 grounded out.called G7 hear.
if sensor is good, then 1 of 2 plastic gears are stripped out.
if G7 does pulse then kick panel connector below is bad G7 pin bad.
vss1.JPG

i think I got them the all ,ways to fail here ,speedo good)
recap.
vss orange pin 8vdc K7 pin
center pin, BK/LB black + light blue call K4, and is 0vdc ground.
K7 pin , wt/or , white with orange strip, out.put, pulses.( do no get near prop shaft if doing live on jack/lift tests. do not.)
one of the 3 are bad. simple tests prove it.
using voltmeter on 8v and ground pin.
I have a scope and need not guess. I can probe them all.

Last edited:
no 8v ! ( above is knowing nothing)
means K7 wire feed is dead.
you now what fails only need to trace it backwards
8v dead up top makes engine dead, CMP and CKP but go dead, if 8v dead.! a huge clue.

so now you know where, it dies, from VSS to the engine bay, harnesses.
the FSM covers the harnesses fully it is free and posted here 1000 of times (links to the sticky)

the VSS is hall sensor, and will be dead if 8vdc is dead.