Solid axle conversion Dana 30

Warthog

Hello my peoples! Doin the cad delete or solid axle conversion. Does the passenger side seal go in the tube or where the rubber that looks like it squeezed out of the tube mating area? Watched several videos as well as tried to research it but it’s always just glossed over or not shown. I’m sure this may seem like a dumbass question but these are my first jeep builds and first ever build of this type. Do you trim off the rubber? Any help would rock

Not exactly sure with this conversion, but normally the seal is just outside the carrier bearings. I think your new axle shaft could tell the story.... it has to have a machined surface for the seal.

Found this.....
  • The passenger side (disconnect side) seal will install behind the carrier bearing. Two seals are provided because of the variations in axle tube thickness. One will work, one will not. They DO NOT install where the original, disconnect seal was located.

New seal goes in the tube by the diff instead of the CAD housing. You will need to figure out where in the tube to put it so that it lands on the seal surface of the shaft. The seal is simply the right diameter for the tube, and as such, you could technically hammer the seal all the way down the tube. So make sure you don't go too far, but far enough that you land on the machined portion of the axle shaft.

Be prepared to do something with driveline vibrations, most YJs that do this swap have problems with that in some form. Especially exacerbated with suspension or shackle lift because it fubars the front driveshaft angles, which are already not great angles in stock form.

Reactions: Warthog and HRDROKN