Smoke From Steering Column

C6c6s

At start up today a plume of white smoke came out where the signal arm is. Figured I fried a switch. Although nothing was on. It was right at start up. Started back up and everything still worked. All lights, etc...No more smoke. Went where I was going no problems. Can’t pull the steering wheel until tomorrow or Tuesday. Question is, with everything still working what else could have fried in there? And why at start up with no lights being used? I just realized I didn’t check the horn. But I wouldn’t think that draws enough to burn.

That is odd.
Whenever I've let the Magic Smoke out something quits working, or worse.
My Chilton is saying a special tool is needed to compress the spring under the sw lock plate to access it's retaining clip.
Dunno, haven't done it myself...yet (my hazard switch is broken).
Keep us posted on what you find.

At start up today a plume of white smoke came out where the signal arm is. Figured I fried a switch. Although nothing was on. It was right at start up. Started back up and everything still worked. All lights, etc...No more smoke. Went where I was going no problems. Can’t pull the steering wheel until tomorrow or Tuesday. Question is, with everything still working what else could have fried in there? And why at start up with no lights being used? I just realized I didn’t check the horn. But I wouldn’t think that draws enough to burn.
Couldn't tell you why you're smoking and why everything still works, but I don't think the issue is the horn. The steering wheel button only grounds the horn relay. The horn relay switches and provides power to the horn which is grounded to the grille. There is no reason for anything horn related at the steering column to smoke, because it's just that very simple low traffic relay ground wire.

You checked and made sure that brakes, turn signals, hazards, wipers, and washers all still work properly?

Couldn't tell you why you're smoking and why everything still works, but I don't think the issue is the horn. The steering wheel button only grounds the horn relay. The horn relay switches and provides power to the horn which is grounded to the grille. There is no reason for anything horn related at the steering column to smoke, because it's just that very simple low traffic relay ground wire.

You checked and made sure that brakes, turn signals, hazards, wipers, and washers all still work properly?
Sorry for the late reply. I ended up down in the Dominican right after that happened and am just getting back. Yes, I checked everything and it all works. Strange. I never did get a chance to pull the wheel before I left. And to be honest, I see no reason to with everything working. So it’s just a mystery for now.

How long would you say it takes to disassemble the steering column? I had the same smoke issue, but as my jeep is my daily driver I need to try to plan around working on it.

15 minutes to a Half hour at most to get to the guts. With the right tools. Some will pull off with enough wiggle but a steering wheel puller is handy. It’s a procedure but YouTube or google can walk you through it.

Great, thanks. I can "rent" a puller from my local O'Reillys to get the wheel off. I'm not very experienced but I'm trying to get better by doing little projects like this.