Side Marker Light Problems

boskoarmstrong

Hey Yall,

I am trying to replace the side marker lights on my '87, and I can't seem to figure out what's wrong. The main turn signals work, and the back ones work, but not the side ones. I put new bulbs in but yet no luck. What do yall think?

Hey Yall,

I am trying to replace the side marker lights on my '87, and I can't seem to figure out what's wrong. The main turn signals work, and the back ones work, but not the side ones. I put new bulbs in but yet no luck. What do yall think?
Do you have LEDs in any locations?

Yep, curious to know if you have LEDs as well. Those can cause lots of issues.
I’m happy the more recent write-ups came about that explain precisely how to convert to LEDs and why you can’t just pop bulbs in and hope for the best. It gets old people installing LEDs and having nothing to tell them except “sorry, they’re funky, go back to stock.”

For this issue, no clue if LEDs are the cause here, could just be old bad/broken wiring if still using stock incandescents. No idea without more info and/or pictures.

Reactions: Chris
Hey Yall,

Do you know how to use a test lamp? There may be some electrical issue. Have you visually inspected the wiring to the turn signal socksets?

Reactions: Chris
Wow, thanks so much for the replies!

The new bulbs are in fact LEDs, and from the sound of these messages, I'm getting that they may be the problem?

And yes, I visually looked at the connectors to see if anything was amiss. I couldn't see any problems with the bulb socket. But, when I tried to trace the wires, I lost them in the cavity behind the radiator, and couldn't figure out where they led.

Thanks again yall

Wow, thanks so much for the replies!

The new bulbs are in fact LEDs, and from the sound of these messages, I'm getting that they may be the problem?

And yes, I visually looked at the connectors to see if anything was amiss. I couldn't see any problems with the bulb socket. But, when I tried to trace the wires, I lost them in the cavity behind the radiator, and couldn't figure out where they led.

Thanks again yall
Yeah the fact that you used LEDs is the issue. You can run nonpolar LEDs in the side markers. You can not run LEDs in the front parking lamp/signal locations unless you modify the vehicle wiring with diodes and resistors.

Put incandescents back up front and non polar LED or incandescent side markers.

Reactions: Fouledplugs