Rear right break shoes aligning incorrectly

Fanov89

Got the rear left installed and the drum fit perfectly but I'm having issues with this right one. It pushes to far to the right and I have no clue why. It also doesn't line up correctly at the pivot unless I force it over with my hand. All new hardware apart from the strut between shoes. Anyone have any input on why they could be like this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

IMG_3539.jpeg
IMG_3542.jpeg
IMG_3536.jpeg
IMG_3535.jpeg
IMG_3538.jpeg

9"shoes ,correct? for unstated year,right?

step 1, the parking brake must be fully relaxed and make 100 percent sure, the 3 Park brake cables are not seized
just did on mine and it was ALL bad! to the bone.

the cylinder is new, so not bad.
crack op;en the bleed screw to be 100% sure,, no line pressure is present. and shoe moves to center stud. (I bet not)

i see that drum is RR, right rear,. the park cable. must not be pulling on the tailing shoe at all. (or will not assemble ever. for sure all new parts)
the most hard part here (job) is the silly park lever on trailing shoes.
if the cables are too tight it fails.
if the cable is too loose the cable end falls off the bottom lever. end. (i used small tie warp;s there to make it stay put, until later adjusting braKE (SPOON)ratchet AND LAST THE PARKING BRAKE BALANCE DEVICE. CENTER OF CAR JUST FRONT OF FUEL FILER.

I DID MINE 3 TIMES TO GET IT RIGHT AND HAVE DONE MANY BEFORE. (but not YJ)
THIS one IS A PISTOL.
BUT ONLY THE PARKING BRAKE STUFF.
So I do feel the pain, yes.
here is mine with 2 top springs left to go and the skinny cable deal. last.
see the 2 yellow arrows. that top one is the park bar lever,index thing that loves to fall off. a real pain that.( older jeeps at keeper pin here,but not 1995.
and lower yellow arrow ,is silver painted park lever.that the end (bottom) loves to fall off.of park cable end slug.
now mine.
95, all new parts. brake cable too.
note the yellow coil spring bar, this is the shoe balance bar and loves to get messed up and not aligned. right, in the slot. wind slot front.
worst off all my one park cable fully seized, in park mode, amazing no? and with new shoes (fat linings full) the thick new drum fails to fit ) on both sides fail just like you.
I cussed that walls down. and took a break. on brakes. Miller time. $90 new cables cured.
MINE.JPG

I do wish you luck, and know others too , find this a pit fall.

Last edited:
forgot one more, the center bar HUMP most go UP
wide slot rear, hump up

left rear, LR
see balance bar hump must be up.
and wide slot goes to rear trail shoe. (fits shoe and park lever bar both and for wide slot)
park brakes cables all loose. this end for sure.

my RR (2).JPG

Last edited:
causes (condensed) (title behind the 8 ball)?
1: wheel cylinder, bad, rusty piston, no-yours is new but if MC fails and lines are under pressure, the MC is bad. (vent in MC blocked. crack the fitting proof)
2: center bar, not hump up or put in backwards, yes 1 right way and 3 wrong.
3: all or any park brake cables seized , mine were and did same thing. as yours;.both sides failed,
4: wrong shoes, (or put on backwards (I can't see from afar to judge it.) but the trailing is correct i see. 9" brakes, police model 10" do not buy the latter, grin.
5: the park lever behind trail show, all is jammed up as it loves to do so easy.
6: drivers foot parking pedal assembly a wreck. it does not fully release.(or was hacked up like mine was)
7: the bottom auto adjuster not run to min,. ( yours is a go)
8: missing springs or put on wrong, (not yours)