Re-gearing 1993 YJ that already has arb lockers

Jpro32

I am wanting to start looking into re-gearing my 1993 YJ. It came with ARB lockers in the front and rear, but needs some more power when I am out on the trail. I believe that the gears are 3.77 right now and would want to go to 4.88s and my question is, would I be able to keep these lockers or have to get new ones? Or what gears would you recommend to use with 35" tires? Thank you

3.77 was not a factory ratio, your 4.0 auto would have had 3.07 or 3.55. Most likely 3.55. If 3.55, then any ratio will fit the rear axle. For the front axle, you will need a thick gearset to install onto the front arb.

If you have 3.07 then you will need thick gearsets for both front and rear.

For 4.0 auto on 35’s, I’d recommend 4.56. That’s a good balance between low end and high end power without revving too high for the power of the motor. The nature of the beast with the auto is about 3200 rpm at highway speed for good performance. If you went 4.88 you’d be more like 3500 rpm at 70.

Make sure to calculate how far off your Speedo is based on gps after the gear swap is done so that you buy the proper speedo gear to correct it. Having an accurate speedo is really underrated.

there are three components to the gear ratio.
Trans
Transfer case
Axle gears.
I have 3.77 and can do 75 on the freeway and in 4low climb really, really well.
Where i struggle is 4h in sand.
4low and i start in 3rd and use 4th and 5th.
I have 35” tires