Question about paint code on YJ ID plate

I

IndyF1Fan

Hi, New user. Just picked up a 1990 YJ as a project the other day and have been doing some research. The VIN decoders I saw out there only listed US (1) as the first digit and mine is a 2 (Brampton Canada after some searching.) Not sure how odd that is.

The main question I have is on the ID Plate on the firewall. That shows a paint code of PR4 which is not a code listed on any of the 'paint code' sites/resources I've seen. The Chrysler build sheet site does kick out a sheet and it shows as Flame Red. Which is PR4 but way after 1990.

So my question is: is a lot of the YJ resources out there incomplete or did Bramption do some things differently ? Secondly is there a good ID Plate decoding site ut there that shows what lines 1 & 2 mean ?

Thanks,
John D

IMG_1783.jpg

D0B5A39F-1E0D-4111-BB68-DC15206CBB62.jpeg
C6E0AA8A-1CF5-4BF6-9D60-49C2023E387F.jpeg

Good morning John, welcome to the forum! Trim tag decoding and paint code chart from the factory shop manual are attached. I'm not that knowledgeable as to paint variances between Brampton and Toledo, only that PR4 Fire Red didn't become available on the YJ until 1993...the only thing I can remotely suggest, and this is a wild guess, is that a couple of vehicles left the factory with PR4 as a test for down the road. I have a 90 TH as well that is sprayed with paint code TR4, which was the only red available that year as per the manual.

Reactions: Chris
7BE06047-5B5A-4B33-8BC3-AD9253857AE8.jpeg

...engine code chart is attached as well I'm case you're interested. My apologies for the sideways format...Chief Hof

Reactions: Chris
Hey thanks Chief ! That kind of factory oddities is interesting to me. I'll have to see how different the Graphic Red is from Flame Red. Maybe they just ran out of the one and used the other for a while. Be interesting to find out.

No worries...happy to help. What's the overall condition of your YJ? I'm not sure of the market in your neck of the woods, but I just finished shopping in the NJ, NY, and PA areas for a buddy of mine and it was a challenge to find one in the $5k price range where the body/frame wasn't rusted out..big difference in the market than when I picked mine up in 2014...

Btw, the difference between PR4 and TR4 may be slight, but it will be noticeable if your plan is to only paint certain sections of your YJ...

Its a project for sure, but at least a running one. The frame is solid and that's what I was looking for. The body might be a bit farther gone than I first thought, but I have not really assessed everything. I'm not too worried as I picked it up for 2 grand. I figure I can't loose too much on it and anyway its a cheaper hobby than golfing or boating :)

That's a blank canvas right there! Interested to see your progress over time...$2k is money well spent, enjoy the journey Brother...

Hi, New user. Just picked up a 1990 YJ as a project the other day and have been doing some research. The VIN decoders I saw out there only listed US (1) as the first digit and mine is a 2 (Brampton Canada after some searching.) Not sure how odd that is.

The main question I have is on the ID Plate on the firewall. That shows a paint code of PR4 which is not a code listed on any of the 'paint code' sites/resources I've seen. The Chrysler build sheet site does kick out a sheet and it shows as Flame Red. Which is PR4 but way after 1990.

So my question is: is a lot of the YJ resources out there incomplete or did Bramption do some things differently ? Secondly is there a good ID Plate decoding site ut there that shows what lines 1 & 2 mean ?

Thanks,
John D

View attachment 116405
Did you find anything more. I also have a 1990 from Canada with the same PR4 paint code.