Power cutting out to entire vehicle when I turn the key

Nicolai79

Got the ol clickety-click when I turned the key the other day. Tested the alternator. Bad. Replaced it. Turned the key. One click this time but I noticed the radio and dash cut out also. Key turn does nothing.

Take the battery to test and it's bad. Replaced it. Clean the posts and the cables.Turn the key. One click. Power goes out again.

Test starter. It's good. Put it back in. Turn the key. One click. Power goes out again. So I fiddle around and eventually power returns but not because of anything I did.

Then I realize that, after a brief timeout, the power is returning on its own. So with power restored I hit the lights. Regular. Brights. Back to regular. Power cuts out. Only to return after a few minutes

That's where I left it tonight. What the hell is going on?

Thanks for any help.

I'll bet your ignition switch at the base of the column if done. Try wiggling the key a bit when it flames out and see if that does anything. I say this as my 91 does this every once and a while.

I would check the main ground to the chassis first.
Grounds on the engine block. And another runs from block to inside fender well. Cleaned all connections then when that didn't work...ran new wire. Still nothing. Thinking of checking power-to-starter wire as starter is good.