Oil and temperature gauge readings

Rdb533

Supporting Member
I have a 93' 2.5L. My temp gauge is running low (but the heater will still cook ya) and my oil gauge is running high. Would you think I have 2 separate problems or is one problem causing the other? Any ideas or suggestions on what it could be and possible fixes would be appreciated!

IMO the gauges in these suck. frankly Jeep and Chrysler/dodge/jeep has a lifetime history of poor wiring. They are inaccurate and subject to bad grounds and/or corrosion at any connection point etc. Pull out your gauge cluster and clean every copper contact point, check the grounds to the cluster and dash panel with an ohm meter if you have one. Check all your engine and body grounds as well and see what you get. If that dont do it GOOD aftermarket gauges will do wonders for knowing what going on under the hood.

Reactions: ytradio and Rdb533
IMO the gauges in these suck. frankly Jeep and Chrysler/dodge/jeep has a lifetime history of poor wiring. They are inaccurate and subject to bad grounds and/or corrosion at any connection point etc. Pull out your gauge cluster and clean every copper contact point, check the grounds to the cluster and dash panel with an ohm meter if you have one. Check all your engine and body grounds as well and see what you get. If that dont do it GOOD aftermarket gauges will do wonders for knowing what going on under the hood.
I'm going to check all the grounds. I'm going to put a manual oil gauge on it today plus I have an IR temp reader and a temp probe on my multimeter. All the other gauges and everything else works just fine.
I have a 93' 2.5L. My temp gauge is running low (but the heater will still cook ya) and my oil gauge is running high. Would you think I have 2 separate problems or is one problem causing the other? Any ideas or suggestions on what it could be and possible fixes would be appreciated!

Does anyone know what the multimeter readings should be on the oil sensor and at connector, with key off or on etc etc? I guess also for the temp sensor as well.

You'll need to put your multimeter on it's resistance setting and get some ohm readings. You can do this with the Jeep off.

I can't find the values for the Oil Pressure sensor in the factory service manual but someone posted their test results using an original sensor and a NAPA replacement sensor.

OHMS
PSI "original sender" "New NAPA Replacement"
0 open open
10 open open
20 80 91
30 75 81
40 65 73
50 60 68
60 61 64
70 56 58
80 50 51

SENSOR RESISTANCE CHART.jpg

chapter 8E page 27 covers it in the free FSM
no need to post NAPAs wrong data. the ECT does not run the gauge ever.
the top rear of head 1 pin sender is, dash coolant temps.

yes one can use the ECT too see if the other 1 pin sensor is bad. but not if there is air pocket on the rear of the head.

ECT is front (below thermostat)
gauge pin sender is far rear top of head.

all this is in chapter 8e (yj only pages) 22 up.
You never read my entire post, do you? Or you misinterpret it. My info is from the FSM with regard to the coolant temp sensor resistance data, that chart I posted is directly from the manual. This data applies to both the gauge sensor and the thermostat mounted sensor. The OP was

The info I posted wasn't even from NAPA. It was from a person that did their own testing on the OIL PRESSURE SENSORS as resistance data for the oil pressure sensor isn't listed in the FSM as far as I can tell, like the coolant and air temp sensors. The sensors themselves being out of range can make the panel read improperly as well.

Reactions: ytradio
Well, I changed the oil sensor and thermostat and everything is working fine. I guess it was 2 separate issues.

Reactions: ytradio