No Start update

jeepjoe43

YJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
Well I think I found my problem, no fuel pressure.
Reached in through the wheel well to the fuel pump connector and felt chewed wires.

PACKRATTUS BASTARDICUS!!!!!!!

So the tank has to come out, AGAIN...
And it did me the disservice of being full, I can siphon it, but still.

AHRGG!

You said it friend, it sucks, It was a war the the first 5 times around!
I can hardly wait for the next one, I'm sure it will be no less painful, just kill me now....

One of my skirmishes was with the factory skid pan and the OMIX tank, any suggestions on a replacement pan?
Preferably not stamped steel, but not an arm, leg and your first born either.
If it's coming out, I'm winning this war.

A 15 gallon keg where the back seat was is my suggestion. No more arse draggin over rocks and the like. That was one thing I liked about my FJ40ies as you got to sit on top of the tank.

Reactions: jeepjoe43
A 15 gallon keg where the back seat was is my suggestion. No more arse draggin over rocks and the like. That was one thing I liked about my FJ40ies as you got to sit on top of the tank.
Was the same with old militaries. but we got's what we got's..And these ain't that, it would be nice though.

Well I think I found my problem, no fuel pressure.
Reached in through the wheel well to the fuel pump connector and felt chewed wires.

PACKRATTUS BASTARDICUS!!!!!!!

So the tank has to come out, AGAIN...
And it did me the disservice of being full, I can siphon it, but still.

AHRGG!

I've always cut "Hatches" Through the beds of my GM pick ups to get to the pumps without having to drop tanks or lift beds......
And yes, I have a hatch cut over the pump on my YJ.....You can get detailed measurements and instructions on YouTube.......
Took maybe an hour to do all of it including installing the new pump.....

l5i_To.&owa=outlook.live.com&scriptVer=20210906004.jpg

Good on you!! Been tossing that one around myself. Just afraid any sparks from a cut off wheel will light the bastard off and Id be Jeepless....................Hell.........id be money ahead then.

I've always cut "Hatches" Through the beds of my GM pick ups to get to the pumps without having to drop tanks or lift beds......
And yes, I have a hatch cut over the pump on my YJ.....You can get detailed measurements and instructions on YouTube.......
Took maybe an hour to do all of it including installing the new pump.....

View attachment 118411
I've seen that before, not an option for me with my storage arrangement.
(See my build thread "Fluffy")
That and the tub is so clean I don't think I could bring myself to butcher it even if it was an option.

So if the 88 YJ has a "mechanical" cam lobe actuated fuel pump, is there another submersible fuel pump in the tank?

Or what exactly is it they refer to as a "Fuel sending unit?"

The 4 cyl version was fuel injected and the 4.2/258 was carbed. The 258 only uses a mechanical pump where as the injected ones use a in tank pump/filter screen/sending unit. Dont give Jeep any ideas like ferd. Fuel pumps in the tanks and on the frame, all of the soon to fail variety. DAHIK several times over :0

Reactions: Sr.
Had to replace the fuel pump on my Ford Ranger a few years ago. Involved removing the entire bed for what could have been a 15 minute job.

So if the 88 YJ has a "mechanical" cam lobe actuated fuel pump, is there another submersible fuel pump in the tank?

Or what exactly is it they refer to as a "Fuel sending unit?"
The float in the tank that indicates fuel level.......On electric fuel pumps, It's attached to the unit.....On a mechanical pump,
On it's own in the tank........Both are accessed the same by getting to the top of the tank........