New to me YJ

9nick0

I grew up with a 1990 YJ Wrangler and have tried to replace it over the years with multiple different models including the JL, JK, and TJ (x2). I've sold all of those and recently bought a 1990 Islander with the 4.2 and automatic. Anybody have a recommendation on a really short lift kit that will clear 33's. I am looking for anything that might help the ride of the jeep as well when buying the lift kit. Open to all price ranges but this is something I would like to spend a little money on to do it right and for it to ride as comfortable as possible. I spend no time off road. I will only be doing city driving under 60mph. I would like as short of a lift as I can get away with to not rub. Thanks in advance.

I'm hearing very good things about Old Man Emu springs and shocks.
Mine has Rough Country springs, so I can't speak directly to OMEs.
The 2-1/2" spring and 1" body I have clear 32"s quite nicely, but it's going to get seriously wheeled.
I have good side view pic on my build thread "Fuffy" for reference if you care to see what that looks like.
Only installed the body lift because as wide as I am, it looked funny.
If you're just street beating it you probably don't need that much.
I don't know anyone making 1" lift, but I did find 2" OMEs.

Reactions: 9nick0
I think Macho has the OME springs and shocks and has high regards for them. OME seems to be the best far as ride quality but I cannot say as Im to cheap to buy their products. My 91 has a Rubicon Express 2.5 and rancho RS5000X shocks. Rides decent but remember a short wheel based vehicle with leaf springs will always ride a tad rough.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
I am indeed the resident OME salesman! I kid, I am not really. I have been through a few different suspension setups that have ranged from decent to terrible and the OME impressed me the most by far. I took the dive after reading lots of posts on jeep forum and wrangler forum and didn’t really find anybody unhappy with it. I was at my wits end with the BDS 3.5 stuff I was running (don’t ever do their heavy duty springs in the rear - like a log wagon it rode).

so I took the plunge, spent a lot and was quite happy with the results. I was actually planning on RE 2.5” at the time, since I know it has plenty of good reviews too. I just could not help seeing so many “OME rides great” comments that I had to try and see. You will get about 2.5-3” from it. Pretty much all suspension is 2.5-3” or more, other than crown which is around 1.5-2”.

I combined a 1.25” body lift with mine so it will clear 33’s in all conditions when I get them.

To clear 33’s, you want to shoot for 4” of total lift.

To keep your lift low, your ride a little more plush, and your wallet a little heavier, I would highly suggest 2.5” suspension lift combined with a 1- 1.25” body lift.

This allows for softer springs which should result in a softer ride. Rancho rs5000x shocks seem to be highly sought after over on the TJ forum.

Honestly, the YJ’s with their leaf springs will never ride as smooth as new Wranglers or any other newer vehicle. It’s something that just has to be accepted.

C-rated tires with 23-26psi is a good tire spec and and setup to shoot for as well. The C-rated tire has a little more give to it while driving down bumpy or pot hole filled roads.

Last edited:
And be aware of a full 4" spring kit. You will then have drive line issues due to angles. As suggested run a 2.5 lift with a body to clear the tires. Not to knock down the guys running 33's but it may open a can of worms money wise you dont wanna open. 31's are a OK compromise for performance,mileage,lack of regearing and lift issues.

Im thinking if your not gonna wheel it you could get away with 33's and the 2.5 lift and no body lift. Surely the guys who know will chime in and offer their experiences. Lots of knowledge from hands on tearing into things here thats for sure.

Im thinking if your not gonna wheel it you could get away with 33's and the 2.5 lift and no body lift. Surely the guys who know will chime in and offer their experiences. Lots of knowledge from hands on tearing into things here thats for sure.
If not going to wheel it, the fenders will def clear the tire. But you have to really commit to no off-road because otherwise you will probably rub on everything if you do go Offroad.

here is when I borrowed a buddy’s 33’s for a week on my 2.5” rough country. I had just regeared the week prior and was curious to see what 4.10 & 33 was like in comparison to the 31’s I was pushing.

It actually wasn’t that bad I guess clearance wise. But I would want the BL, which is why I finally got one now in prep for my 33’s.

4AA37629-0C1A-4820-9B19-B74909AB46C0.jpeg

Last edited:
And dont forget gears.

if you’re running a 2.5L, forget 33’s, stick with 31’s and some lower gears in the diffs.

If youre running a 4.0L, regearing is going to make those 33’s so much more enjoyable on the road and off the road.

This is what I was thinking. I really plan on zero offroading.

If not going to wheel it, the fenders will def clear the tire. But you have to really commit to no off-road because otherwise you will probably rub on everything if you do go Offroad.

here is when I borrowed a buddy’s 33’s for a week on my 2.5” rough country. I had just regeared the week prior and was curious to see what 4.10 & 33 was like in comparison to the 31’s I was pushing.

It actually wasn’t that bad I guess clearance wise. But I would want the BL, which is why I finally got one now in prep for my 33’s.

View attachment 118004
So thats 33" with a 2.5 inch lift. It looks like it has plenty of clearance for regular city driving. I have no plans to take mine offroad at any point. Yours looks like it is just fine with the 2.5 inch lift. How is it getting into and out of it. Any idea on the measurement from the ground to the start of the body so I could compare it to how mine sits now?

So thats 33" with a 2.5 inch lift. It looks like it has plenty of clearance for regular city driving. I have no plans to take mine offroad at any point. Yours looks like it is just fine with the 2.5 inch lift. How is it getting into and out of it. Any idea on the measurement from the ground to the start of the body so I could compare it to how mine sits now?
2.5” is fine, not really hard to climb into at all. Get some grab handles if it’s difficult. I have a body lift now and I’m still on 31’s so mine sort of represents what 2.5 and 33’s would be like (that picture was taken 5 years ago and those tires were only on for a week)

I forget what the rocker panel measurement is in stock form and it’s hard to tell you what dimension the Jeep will go up by unless we know what tires you have now which is really just simple math after that. My whole Jeep is around 5-6” taller than stock currently due to the lift and tires.

I had a 82? CJ7 Jamboree series some time ago. It was an automatic/4.2. It had 2.73 gears from the factory and 31's. Not sure what your 90 has but you might check one that as well.