New to me 1988 YJ

Check tire pressure, set it to around 29. discount tire aired me up to 40 psi one time and it was really bad. Makes a huge difference. The suspension could be worn out, the springs are basically flat when stock, and if they have a negative arch then they're sagging. Seems like not many YJs have stock suspension these days so figure out what you have. Pics will help us help you if you want to try and identify what you've got.

The new shocks could definitely hurt the ride depending on what shock was used. Decide if you want to do some lift or not and go from there. If I were building a rig for 31's I'd probably do the Old Man Emu 2.5" suspension and call it done, although a 1.25" body lift by itself would likely be enough to get the job done too, unless flexing it hard offroad.

The one nice thing about OME suspension is how damn nice it rides. The downside is the cost, but to me it was well worth it.
I literally just installed an OME 2 1/2" lift on my '95 TODAY and cant believe the ride quality with 31's. It is awesome. I got that advice from this site and I'm glad I listened. It was more expensive and worth every penny.

• Love
Reactions: machoheadgames
I literally just installed an OME 2 1/2" lift on my '95 TODAY and cant believe the ride quality with 31's. It is awesome. I got that advice from this site and I'm glad I listened. It was more expensive and worth every penny.
Awesome to hear! Yeah I've been through a bunch of suspensions in my YJ years. Stock, Rough Country 2.5 (meh), BDS 3.5 (awful), and now OME. I bought the OME fully intending to sell the YJ immediately if the OME didn't perform to the hype from the internet. Thankfully it blew my mind. I was actually going to go with RE 2.5 because it has pretty good reviews but I'm glad I didn't, I don't think it would have rode as well. After people telling me BDS would ride great and my actual experiences with it, it was hard to trust anyone that OME would actually be good or better than BDS.