New jeep owner question (95 yj motor related)

AKYJ

Hello you all - looking to get ahead of this/get started on the obvious things this might be and work towards success. I'm slightly handy, but new to Jeeps.

I got myself a 95 yj with the 2.5l and I think the previous owners were rough on her. The check engine light stays on.

The motor coughs and stumbles intermittently and backfires every 15 minutes or so. It starts up and idles fine (maybe a touch rough idle). I had the computer repaired, and I installed new plugs and new air filter, but none of those made any difference.

I was thinking this as a plan of attack for parts to replace - coil (or the jeep's equivalent), fuel filter, Oxygen sensor (if this has one), plug wires and check out under the distributor cap, and also put a new set of injectors in.

What are your thoughts and what might I be missing?

Thanks so much, again.
Matthew

I have not - I'll pick up a code reader and do that.
You won’t find many code readers compatible with the OBDI diagnostics of a YJ. Search a YouTube video on reading your own codes. You do it by turning the key a few times and then counting the blinks of the check engine light. You can post a video of the process if you need help counting codes.

Please note that you will always receive codes:
12 (Battery disconnected within last 50 start cycles)
55 (End of codes)
33 ( Air Conditioner clutch relay circuit short or open) if you do not have AC equipped on your Jeep.

Last edited:
Checked the codes - odd ones, and you are right, I got those other ones. The odd one out is 24 looks like.
12 - battery disconnect
33 - Air cond clutch relay (this unit was a no ac unit)
24 - TPS sensor or circuit

Is it usual for these codes to not appear in chronological order?

Checked the codes - odd ones, and you are right, I got those other ones. The odd one out is 24 looks like.
12 - battery disconnect
33 - Air cond clutch relay (this unit was a no ac unit)
24 - TPS sensor or circuit

Is it usual for these codes to not appear in chronological order?
Yes, they read in all sorts of weird orders lots of the time.

change the throttle position sensor. Not surprised that’s your code, a bad TPS causes a slew of annoying issues running.

Check fuel pressure and consider getting a new fuel pump. Definitely do the fuel filter and clean out the throttle body too.