New Here- 1988 YJ 4.2

Geos7812

Hi folks. 1st post, I just signed up. I cannot wait to get digging. I am a brand new owner of a 1988 YJ 4.2L with 47000 miles. I pick her up tomorrow and will now spend the rest of this evening and morning (probably) piling through this forum.

Can’t Wait!

Geoff

Reactions: redbullet

ytradio

YJ Enthusiast
Hi folks. 1st post, I just signed up. I cannot wait to get digging. I am a brand new owner of a 1988 YJ 4.2L with 47000 miles. I pick her up tomorrow and will now spend the rest of this evening and morning (probably) piling through this forum.

Can’t Wait!

Geoff
Welcome

Chief Hof

Supporting Member
Hi Geoff...welcome aboard! I've got a `low mileage` YJ myself...90 4.2 with 44k...I'm curious to see your new purchase and any history...btw, that 4.2 is no joke, congrats!

antleywa

Hi Geoff,
Welcome, I too am new to the forum.
I also just bought a 1988 4.2 but it has a little more miles, 100K+. I too will be digging for information for several issues i have with this one. One in particular is a bouncing fuel gauge, hard to tell what you have in the tank. Previous owner said if it gets to bouncing in this range, hunt a gas station....quick. I would like to be a little surer. If anyone has a fix, I would love to hear it.

Reactions: Geos7812
OP
G

Geos7812

Hi Geoff,
Welcome, I too am new to the forum.
I also just bought a 1988 4.2 but it has a little more miles, 100K+. I too will be digging for information for several issues i have with this one. One in particular is a bouncing fuel gauge, hard to tell what you have in the tank. Previous owner said if it gets to bouncing in this range, hunt a gas station....quick. I would like to be a little surer. If anyone has a fix, I would love to hear it.
Mine has the same! I haven’t searched up answers yet, but I will start soon.

cburyta

Sending unit is in the tank, but on the 4.2 the fuel pump will be on the lower passenger side of the engine if it's still stock. The 4.0 fuel injection models have the pump in the tank as part of the sending unit. Just a thought, if you plan to convert to fuel injection from a carb you'd need shift fuel pumps, and could locate it in the tank at that time. ... I'm curious, what is your carb / distributor setup like on that one?

OP
G

Geos7812

Sending unit is in the tank, but on the 4.2 the fuel pump will be on the lower passenger side of the engine if it's still stock. The 4.0 fuel injection models have the pump in the tank as part of the sending unit. Just a thought, if you plan to convert to fuel injection from a carb you'd need shift fuel pumps, and could locate it in the tank at that time. ... I'm curious, what is your carb / distributor setup like on that one?

I haven’t dug in just yet. I have Parts on order for a full tune up where I will jump in and understand this thing a bit more soon.