Need help

Laredogdavis

Please help. I bought a 1995 jeep yj. They already had the v8 swap but they didn't beef the transmission. So I blew up the ax5 and tried to switch to an ax15. I bought the new tranny and new bellhousing and now I'm finding that I also have to swap the clutch and the transfer case. Can someone help me that has done all this before and tell me what I need as fat as clutch and transfer case to fit the ax 15 and the gm small block

Might try Advanced Adapters or Novak. I didnt think you needed to change T cases but i could be wrong. Lots to do on one of the conversions like you have. The AX 15 is great trans, but Im sure you could resell if if needed. Being your as far along as you are Id consider a SM465 or NP435 trans or even an auto and the stock T case. Just depends on what you plan to use it for I suppose.

Reactions: jeepjoe43
Definitely reach out to the two companies listed above. They'll help a lot. You do not have to change transfer cases for the AX15, but the input gear will have to be changed and that requires disassembling the whole thing. Not difficult, but watch some videos and read some instructions for sure. You should definitely be able to come to a conclusion to solve your issue by using an AX15.

Definitely reach out to the two companies listed above. They'll help a lot. You do not have to change transfer cases for the AX15, but the input gear will have to be changed and that requires disassembling the whole thing. Not difficult, but watch some videos and read some instructions for sure. You should definitely be able to come to a conclusion to solve your issue by using an AX15.
So I have reached out to advanced adapter as that is where I bought the bellhousing for the ax15 conversion. Hopefully I can just swap shafts like you said because right now the transfer case I'm looking at is pricey. Wanting to do this build right without absolutely breaking the bank lol

So I have reached out to advanced adapter as that is where I bought the bellhousing for the ax15 conversion. Hopefully I can just swap shafts like you said because right now the transfer case I'm looking at is pricey. Wanting to do this build right without absolutely breaking the bank lol
You can absolutely swap the input gear. The NP231 doesn't change in that regard. I can take an NP231 from any year YJ or TJ and adapt it to any transmission or engine that came from those two vehicles. Just need the right input gear and have to do the work.

So I beleive I've figured out the transfer case problem. My np231 was mated to an ax5 and was made for the 4 cylinder. So I need an np231 that was mated to an ax15 and 6 cylinder engine. Will wait to hear back from advanced on the clutch

Reactions: Fouledplugs
So I beleive I've figured out the transfer case problem. My np231 was mated to an ax5 and was made for the 4 cylinder. So I need an np231 that was mated to an ax15 and 6 cylinder engine. Will wait to hear back from advanced on the clutch
You do not need to buy a whole entire transfer case from a 4.0 5-speed unless you don't feel like changing the input gear. Literally all you HAVE to do is change the input gear in your current transfer case and it will then bolt up to the AX15.