My 1995 Jeep YJ Rio Grande

Top Half of Engine is all back together!
Rebuilt Top Engine_sm.jpg

Last edited:
I rebuilt the starter and I cleaned and repainted the battery box.

After that I started the Jeep up and ran it today!
It ran extremely well.
I didn't run it very long because the duel electric fans didn't kick as designed, so I am going to have to troubleshoot them tomorrow.

Reactions: jeepjoe43
I rebuilt the starter and I cleaned and repainted the battery box.

After that I started the Jeep up and ran it today!
It ran extremely well.
I didn't run it very long because the duel electric fans didn't kick as designed, so I am going to have to troubleshoot them tomorrow.
Excellent, glad to hear you got it running!
I wouldn't wait too long to change the oil.
You've probably flushed what remaining crud there was into your new oil.

So. are you going to just put her back on the road, or do you have some off-road mods in mind?

Nothing major for off-road mods at this time.

I still want to paint it inside and out, which includes installing the new Omix-Ada windshield frame that I purchased recently, Repaint the roll bar and the soft top frame. Purchase and install a new soft top.

I am going to manufacture front and rear bumpers for it using 4 x 3 rectangular tubing and I am planning on installing 31X10.50R15LT tires on it.

Nothing major for off-road mods at this time.

I still want to paint it inside and out, which includes installing the new Omix-Ada windshield frame that I purchased recently, Repaint the roll bar and the soft top frame. Purchase and install a new soft top.

I am going to manufacture front and rear bumpers for it using 4 x 3 rectangular tubing and I am planning on installing 31X10.50R15LT tires on it.
Sounds pretty reasonable, though 31" might be a little tall on the tires for a 4 banger with 4.10s.
You will notice them unless you don't do much interstate.
Either way you'll probably never see 5th gear again.
Whatever you do, don't waste a dime modifying the D35 rear axle, if that is what it has.
I hate to say it, but they're absolutely garbage for any off-road use other than dirt roads.

Yep... it has the D35 rear axle.

I am also considering 30 x 9.5R15LT.
Bent my D35 on my First off-road trip. $3400 later, it's gone. (Got a custom D44 with all the bells and whistles)

30s are what mine had on when I bought it, they did fine.
Didn't have a lift then either, and the stock springs were collapsed.
Even so, there were no clearance issues with them.
Would have kept them too if they hadn't been old and dry rotted.
Or BFG ATs. (I wouldn't put BFGs on my Grand Marquis)

Electric Fans have been installed along with a 165 degree High Flow Thermostat.
View attachment 117411
I finally was able to get my radiator fans working correctly by installing a Painless Performance 30111 Thermostatic Switch. I decided to use this switch because it has duel blades. One blade is strictly for grounding... I was having trouble with the single blade grounding though the thermostat housing and brass Tee.
I highly recommend this Thermostatic Switch to anyone thinking about adding an electric fan to their YJ.
The Duel Fans work incredible well!

I finally was able to get my radiator fans working correctly by installing a Painless Performance 30111 Thermostatic Switch. I decided to use this switch because it has duel blades. One blade is strictly for grounding... I was having trouble with the single blade grounding though the thermostat housing and brass Tee.
I highly recommend this Thermostatic Switch to anyone thinking about adding an electric fan to their YJ.
The Duel Fans work incredible well!
That's the type I'm looking for, though not sure what range I need.
So your set-up is 185-170 range with a 165 t-stat...How did you determine that combination?
I had a 180 t-stat in mine by mistake instead of the 195 it calls for and the ECM was No happy, threw a bunch of codes.

I worked in a mechanic shop my last couple of years of high school and a year and half after H.S graduation.
Always cooler is better for performance especially on older vehicle that have less stringent pcm's.

Woody at 4WJ in Baton Rouge who is a gigantic jeep enthusiastic informed me of the heat problems in the 2.5L engines.
So far my jeep has not thrown any codes. The Jeep temperature gauge on the dash shows the fans kicking on around 205 degrees and they run untill 160 degrees. I was debating whether or not to replace the jeep temperature sensor but i will leave it after your code problems...

This is the high flow thermostat that I installed: 4363 High Flow Thermostat Fit For Chevy Ford Jeep GM 160 Degree Robertshaw Style

I made sure that I found a thermostatic switch that was close to the same range as the kit I purchased for the wiring of the fan motors that was suppose to be compatible with a Jeep.

The rest was just trial and error.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler YJ Forum may be compensated.
I worked in a mechanic shop my last couple of years of high school and a year and half after H.S graduation.
Always cooler is better for performance especially on older vehicle that have less stringent pcm's.

Woody at 4WJ in Baton Rouge who is a gigantic jeep enthusiastic informed me of the heat problems in the 2.5L engines.
So far my jeep has not thrown any codes. The Jeep temperature gauge on the dash shows the fans kicking on around 205 degrees and they run untill 160 degrees. I was debating whether or not to replace the jeep temperature sensor but i will leave it after your code problems...

This is the high flow thermostat that I installed: 4363 High Flow Thermostat Fit For Chevy Ford Jeep GM 160 Degree Robertshaw Style

I made sure that I found a thermostatic switch that was close to the same range as the kit I purchased for the wiring of the fan motors that was suppose to be compatible with a Jeep.

The rest was just trial and error.
I've got an aluminum radiator with 16" fan, only because I wanted to get rid of the prop and the ridiculous fan shroud.
The original radiator worked, but had a bad case of the Crusteze.
Sounds like your temp sensor is working, but I would change it anyway, it's only about $10-15.
It's the one on top of the head by the firewall, tiny little thing.
Sensor in the waterneck is just for the ECM, not the gauge.
Mine was bad reading high and caused me much heartburn even after a completely new cooling system.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler YJ Forum may be compensated.
steering column.jpg

I rebuilt and then installed a Jeep XJ Tilt Steering Column in my YJ.

I pulled the steering column from the local Pull A Part in Baton Rouge for $39.00.

I decided to completely go through the column because I wanted to eliminate the part of the rod that sticks out of the back of the XJ steering column for the key release along with repacking all of the bearing with new grease. I used 2 pdf's and one youtube video to disassemble and re-assemble the steering column. I don't know if I could have re-assembled it correctly without the video.
One of the two pdf's.

I decided to replace the steering shaft and I am waiting on it to complete the job.

jeep steering column.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone know what this connector powers?
My YJ was not using it.

My blower motor was not working. I found 2 cut DK Green wires cut at bottom of the inside fuse box.
I traced them through my dash wiring harness and one was for the blower switch plug and the other wire runs to this connector.
I reconnected the wire for my blower switch plug and my blower motor now works.
If I reconnect the second DK Green wire that runs to this connector it blows the 25 Amp fuse in the #12 slot on the inside fuse box.

I need to know if this wire needs to be reconnected or not.

Jeep Wire Connector_sm.jpg