Mounting shockbrakers to rear axle

BaukeV

Hi all,

I am restoring a 1989 Jeep wrangler YJ.

It has a new set of leaf springs under it:
  • Old Man Emu: 50mm rear and 40/50mm front incl dampers
  • 4x spring/bushings/nitro dampers/u-bolts
Now I'm busy mounting the axles again, where I see that there is very little (~2cm, see attached picture) space between the shock and the axle itself, and I wonder if this is supposed to happen.

Can you maybe advise me on this?

Greetings,

Bauke

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-26 at 4.45.15 PM.jpeg

The lower shock tube probably has a larger diameter than the OEM shock. Same when I installed my shocks and they recommended using a shock relocation bracket yet had no support telling what it was or where to find it.

This is what I bought from eBay and it works well.

1a.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler YJ Forum may be compensated.
We all have the same issue that run non oem shocks. personally id not use the relocation brackets as they add more leverage to the already weak factory axle bracket. Ive busted both off my 91's rear diff and had to weld them back on. Next time they break off I will use rock jocks axle U bolt plate that has shock pins welded to them or mod my stockers if I have time. Generally speaking I have yet to see a shocks function tainted by a potential small dent at it might get but it is kinda screwy havingthem so close.