Mechanical speedo sender

Sunrnr33

Supporting Member
I'm a new YJ owner, picked up a 95 that has had extensive swap work done, 350, new AX15, Novak T-case kit, etc. When the work was being done some of the wiring was removed and one of those things was the speedometer wiring and I'm going to put a mechanical speedo set-up which was in the YJ's 87-91. I have the new speedo and cable, what I'm having a hard time finding is the sender for the T-case. There is a Omix sender which is the '91 sender which is the only one that had both elec and mechanical sender. The part# is 18676.68, I tried to get an answer from a parts co but they kept telling me it wouldn't work on mine because mine is elec......which I know despite trying to tell them I'm changing it. Has anyone used this for the mechanical sender or has anyone found the 87-91 senders, cannot find them anywhere. Thanks for any info!

I bought a spare case out of an 89 that I’m eventually going to rebuild once I decide the purpose for it. It still had the speedo drive setup. Basically everything except the cable, but was ready for a cable to hook up. If I can confirm I still have the parts, I can send them to you if you’ll pay shipping.

Those parts are crazy rare…I’m only willing to ditch it because I truly will never need those parts and I know how hard they are to find so I feel the pain.

For the record, that part number is Mopar 2538608 and is known as a Speedometer adapter. Speedo gear fits into it, and cable hooks up to the adapter while sliding into the gear’s shaft. Pretty simple.

Last edited:
Reactions: E-Rock
I bought a spare case out of an 89 that I’m eventually going to rebuild once I decide the purpose for it. It still had the speedo drive setup. Basically everything except the cable, but was ready for a cable to hook up. If I can confirm I still have the parts, I can send them to you if you’ll pay shipping.

Those parts are crazy rare…I’m only willing to ditch it because I truly will never need those parts and I know how hard they are to find so I feel the pain.

For the record, that part number is Mopar 2538608 and is known as a Speedometer adapter. Speedo gear fits into it, and cable hooks up to the adapter while sliding into the gear’s shaft. Pretty simple.
Thanks for that info, I'd be happy to pay shipping and for the part. I've read some of your posts and the info is always good. I've been bending wrench's for a long time and always look for the tech or parts I need, but this is one of those items you just can't find. The speedo and cable are available, why isn't the drive reproduced.....it's such a basic part. It's going on another Green YJ!

Hey guys, Thank a bunch! I had this precise question. I have not reached that stage of the build, but THANK YOU.

This one will be on a TRUE YJ. (yellow jeep) 🤭

Thanks for that info, I'd be happy to pay shipping and for the part. I've read some of your posts and the info is always good. I've been bending wrench's for a long time and always look for the tech or parts I need, but this is one of those items you just can't find. The speedo and cable are available, why isn't the drive reproduced.....it's such a basic part. It's going on another Green YJ!
Sounds good, shoot me a PM and we’ll sort it out.

To conclude this topic the Mopar part# 2538608 is a good number and you can find an OEM part and also Advance Adapters also makes the part #301506. The cable uses 5/8 and 7/8 fittings on each end. Hope this helps the next person find the info.

For the final wrap up of this topic I took it for a road test and the speedo works great. I installed a 35 tooth gear for the 33's I'm going to have and the speedo cable was 82" long. Next will be the matching Autometer tach, Thanks again to machoheadgames for the gear housing!

Reactions: machoheadgames