Looking to run 40s or 37s! Setup advice.

You're a noob, you need to learn the vehicle a step at a time. Mod by mod.
jumping into a full blown beast can be down-right dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.
I know you want the "Look", I have couple of neighbors with CJ5s, one on 37s, the other on 40s.
Personally, I think they both look ridiculous. And they both both bought them that way.
I get where you're going with this but learning the vehicle a step at a time doesn't mean it has to be built one step at a time. If my final goal is really 37s, why would I waste my time and money building it for 31s, then 33s, then 35s, and finally 37s. I mean that's cool and all if I want to experience and appreciate each setup but it doesn't make sense.

On the other hand, I'm realizing that a proper setup for 37s is gonna cost a hefty chunk of an investment (pending on a quote from this shop now) so I might just wait it out till I am committed to spending that amount range.

Currently waiting on my hardtop to be completed in the next month or so (hopefully), and will be focusing on the custom audio install in the next few weeks that my buddy will be helping me with (I'm going for a bassy setup, but space is so limited in the YJ!).

I haven't had a fun project car for years now and I'm excited to see this Jeep take on a new life soon. I'll most likely be building another drift/track-only car in the next year or so depending on my schedule and available free time.

A few pics of my SR24 build from years back. I miss her so much! 😥
7.jpg

9.jpg

1.png

4.jpg

I get where you're going with this but learning the vehicle a step at a time doesn't mean it has to be built one step at a time. If my final goal is really 37s, why would I waste my time and money building it for 31s, then 33s, then 35s, and finally 37s. I mean that's cool and all if I want to experience and appreciate each setup but it doesn't make sense.

On the other hand, I'm realizing that a proper setup for 37s is gonna cost a hefty chunk of an investment (pending on a quote from this shop now) so I might just wait it out till I am committed to spending that amount range.

Currently waiting on my hardtop to be completed in the next month or so (hopefully), and will be focusing on the custom audio install in the next few weeks that my buddy will be helping me with (I'm going for a bassy setup, but space is so limited in the YJ!).

I haven't had a fun project car for years now and I'm excited to see this Jeep take on a new life soon. I'll most likely be building another drift/track-only car in the next year or so depending on my schedule and available free time.

A few pics of my SR24 build from years back. I miss her so much! 😥
View attachment 117316

View attachment 117317

View attachment 117318

View attachment 117319
Think of trying to to turn an AMC Pacer into a drift car, you can do it, but do you really want to?

It'd be more like turning an S chassis into an offroad rig... lol.
That is Exactly my point.
You have a beautiful Laredo, resist the temptation to "F" it up.
Clean Wranglers are going for stupid money these days.
I say find another candidate for a "Mine's bigger than your's project". It would probably be a lot less headaches...

• Haha
Reactions: Most Wanted 21
It is a cool episode, but I see around $20k if not more to have a shop do what they did to that jeep and I'm low-balling. Everything past the transmission is replaced and there is a lot of fab work. That is 2.5 to 3 times my jeep's cost and I have a lot of fun in mine as it sits.
Plus they used the, “wrong,” front axle. The leaf pads are too far towards the outside of the axle, limiting suspension travel and a loss of steering angle. If youre paying close attention when he attempts to climb the waterfall and tried to go full lock, the tires rub the leaf springs. Not good. But its a junkyard build...

Reactions: Most Wanted 21
Thanks! I will check them out. Currently waiting on T&J Performance to get back to me but we'll see how that goes.
What's your budget for the coilover setup if you don't mind me asking?
Coilovers are cheap in comparison to everything else in my build. They are cheaper than custom leaf springs, I can tell you that.