Looking for advice 1995 YJ 2.5

jdinsb

The Jeep
I just bought a 1995 base model S (2.5L with 42K original miles). Emerald Green, runs really well, no radio, no a/c, no carpets... just a bare bones YJ. I paid a bit over market due to the low mileage and overall condition, but it needs a bit of work:

Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 10.03.20 AM.png

• lower windshield frame is rusted through
  • surface rust on the original wheels
  • soft top is old, weathered, and some seams are ripped
  • rear seat doesn't match factory tan
  • some fading on interior half doors
  • soft top hardware is on its last leg
The Options
I'd love the group's input on a few directions I could take the Jeep. Note that I'll be using this for a beach and around town car; very rarely will I be going off-road or taking it on the highway.
  1. Restore to factory original. I personally like this option because there are so few out there with good mileage and it would be fun to see it in its original condition. Would require some time/money/patience, but I'd hope I could restore to be worth about what I paid + put into it in a couple of years.
  2. Light mods. 31" wheels, hard top for rainy months, seats, bumpers at a minimum. I like this option because it will feel newer, but I don't think it'll do wonders for the value of the car longer term.
  3. Keep as-is. Beat it up, ride it to the ground, don't update anything.
Thoughts or recommendations? :)

Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 10.03.26 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 10.04.08 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 10.04.02 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 10.03.57 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 10.03.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 10.03.44 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 10.03.36 AM.png

I vote option 1 or 2.

I think the lower windshield rusting is a common problem. Mine is doing the same and will be replaced soon. You can buy a Crown brand new, but if you can find a decent used one, go with that. The Crown windshield may have line up issues.

Try seeing about sanding the surface rust off the rims. I love those rims. I considered that style if I were to turn mine into an Islander.

You will have to see if your wiring harness supports the plug in for a hardtop. I am not saying you can't get a hardtop, but you won't be able to use the rear wiper and lights. Maybe something can be rigged? I don't know. I would suggest sticking with a softtop though.

I have seen people use paint cans as simple as Rustoleom to refurbish the door panels. You can probably find a close tan match to do the rear seat. SEM spray cans work awesome as well.

31'' tires will still fit the stock suspension. I think it will be a little close to rubbing, so as long as you aren't doing an trails that require anymore articulation than a dirt road, you should be fine.

From what I can see the Jeep looks great as it is. Great find.

I vote option 1 or 2.

I think the lower windshield rusting is a common problem. Mine is doing the same and will be replaced soon. You can buy a Crown brand new, but if you can find a decent used one, go with that. The Crown windshield may have line up issues.

Try seeing about sanding the surface rust off the rims. I love those rims. I considered that style if I were to turn mine into an Islander.

You will have to see if your wiring harness supports the plug in for a hardtop. I am not saying you can't get a hardtop, but you won't be able to use the rear wiper and lights. Maybe something can be rigged? I don't know. I would suggest sticking with a softtop though.

I have seen people use paint cans as simple as Rustoleom to refurbish the door panels. You can probably find a close tan match to do the rear seat. SEM spray cans work awesome as well.

31'' tires will still fit the stock suspension. I think it will be a little close to rubbing, so as long as you aren't doing an trails that require anymore articulation than a dirt road, you should be fine.

From what I can see the Jeep looks great as it is. Great find.

Really appreciate the thoughts and insight, thank you for the response! I'm starting to favor #1 and go true-to-stock restoration, but so many considerations. This has the benefit of having an end in sight, too. Maybe there's a hybrid option where I can add some basics: radio / speakers / bigger tires / and do the rest stock. Looking forward to more input :)

Don't do like me and buy a bunch a stuff.....and then change your mind on what you want to do.

I would keep it how it is right now and enjoy it on the road. Make sure everything mechanical wise is okay and you can think about more it is what you want to do.

Reactions: jdinsb
Ive bought and sold well over 200 vehicles, most were 4x4 PU trucks, jeeps, FJ40ies a few 4x4 vans. All modded,wheels,lift,mild engine mods,light resto mechanically, a few painted stuff like that and I lost my ass on every one pretty much when I sold them so dont expect a big recoup of investment. #2 hard tops are pretty pricy, you may opt for another soft top if you gonna just run around town and pull it in summer. Wheel rust...eh..big deal, repaint them is so motivated. You could run 31's on those wheels. From the pics its in better than average shape and I would have loved to find a clean bone stock one like yours so I do have that going for it defiantly. Im curious what your paid in SB/CA as used everything is at a all time high. Take your time with any mods and have no fear taking it on the 101 for a nice cruise on a sunny day.

I guess I was lucky to find mine bone stock, though with the mods I knew I wanted, it's been a journey and continues to be.
Thankfully I'm in the SW so rust isn't an issue and that's a good thing, probably why I gave the asking price for it.
Just didn't know it had sat for 10 years and all the problems that come with that...

You do have a good looking machine, and you can't beat the mileage!
Here I thought I got a good deal with 114K.
My 2.5 runs great, when it runs....But there in lies the rub.

I vote option 2. I just don't understand the itch for stock style restorations. Maybe it's just me but I find stock older Jeeps to be incredibly boring. I see some nice YJs pop up that are basically brand new, been garaged their whole life. While they are beautiful, if I were to obtain one, I absolutely would not be able to resist the urge to change the lights on it to LED and swap it to better suspension and larger than the tiny stock tires. I just can't help it. Not only that but there are some areas from the factory I like to improve (i.e. wiring) and once I do that, it's no longer original. Just can't understanding spending money to get back to that point, but maybe it's just me.

Looks like a fun little project to start with.

Ive bought and sold well over 200 vehicles, most were 4x4 PU trucks, jeeps, FJ40ies a few 4x4 vans. All modded,wheels,lift,mild engine mods,light resto mechanically, a few painted stuff like that and I lost my ass on every one pretty much when I sold them so dont expect a big recoup of investment. #2 hard tops are pretty pricy, you may opt for another soft top if you gonna just run around town and pull it in summer. Wheel rust...eh..big deal, repaint them is so motivated. You could run 31's on those wheels. From the pics its in better than average shape and I would have loved to find a clean bone stock one like yours so I do have that going for it defiantly. Im curious what your paid in SB/CA as used everything is at a all time high. Take your time with any mods and have no fear taking it on the 101 for a nice cruise on a sunny day.
Good input! I paid $9750. I probably should've / could've gotten below $9000 but came with some extras, was well kept and meticulously maintained, has great documentation, and at the end of the day $1000 or so isn't worth losing sleep over.

I vote option 2. I just don't understand the itch for stock style restorations. Maybe it's just me but I find stock older Jeeps to be incredibly boring. I see some nice YJs pop up that are basically brand new, been garaged their whole life. While they are beautiful, if I were to obtain one, I absolutely would not be able to resist the urge to change the lights on it to LED and swap it to better suspension and larger than the tiny stock tires. I just can't help it. Not only that but there are some areas from the factory I like to improve (i.e. wiring) and once I do that, it's no longer original. Just can't understanding spending money to get back to that point, but maybe it's just me.

Looks like a fun little project to start with.
I'm with you Macho, Not my flavor either but we're in the same boat.
I do have to admit that @Dne007 meticulous Jurassic Jeep build is Drop Dead Gorgeous!

I am the odd one out here, because I do admire the original look. I had/have a JP jeep in mind as well.
No bad on differing opinions, we're all here for different reasons.
But good on you, l'll be looking forward to pics.
i hope you do eventually go that route, they're very cool!
But, as stated, just not my flavor.

I'm with you Macho, Not my flavor either but we're in the same boat.
I do have to admit that @Dne007 meticulous Jurassic Jeep build is Drop Dead Gorgeous!
Being I once lived in Ca I look at his case like this. Santa Barbara, Ventura and SLO counties, well and Ca for that matter are as off road/motor sport unfriendly as it gets. There are few places that are hours away,Gorman, the deserts,Dismo Beach, The Miller trail if even open anymore, if he wants to play, but he mentioned using it locally in town only. That being said whats the point of modding it for off road use other than wasting effort and money. In stock form its perfectly capable of hitting the local dirt roads of SB. To me mods come from necessity to get where you wanna go, pounding the pavement in SB Commifornia, one would better off suited with a convertible Prius. And please I mean that with NO insult or judgment to JDSIB or his enthusiasm of owning a Jeep. Its all about personal use needs IMO.

I just bought a 95 YJ 2.5 same as yours. I’m going totally stock. There’s no judgement on whats a real Jeep…do what appeals to you. I think when you go stock it’s really just a weekend cruiser for around town, so old school is great for me. I just bought the stock 9 slot wheels and center caps. Had to go to a wrecker for old rims and eBay for the caps. Would have loved to get yours! I paid the same as you for the Jeep and thought it was high but your purchase also here in California tells me that may be consistent. All others were beat and asking about 7k. Mine has 106k miles but nice paint and quite clean. I did however realize post purchase it needs a few things. Everything else I saw was really rough and lifted and modified, so in that sense it seems like clean stock ones go for more but can’t say for sure. everything is higher in this State….they call it the Golden State for a reason! Reach out to me at passkey81@gmail.com I’ve got some parts you might want.

I just bought a 95 YJ 2.5 same as yours. I’m going totally stock. There’s no judgement on whats a real Jeep…do what appeals to you. I think when you go stock it’s really just a weekend cruiser for around town, so old school is great for me. I just bought the stock 9 slot wheels and center caps. Had to go to a wrecker for old rims and eBay for the caps. Would have loved to get yours! I paid the same as you for the Jeep and thought it was high but your purchase also here in California tells me that may be consistent. All others were beat and asking about 7k. Mine has 106k miles but nice paint and quite clean. I did however realize post purchase it needs a few things. Everything else I saw was really rough and lifted and modified, so in that sense it seems like clean stock ones go for more but can’t say for sure. everything is higher in this State….they call it the Golden State for a reason! Reach out to me at passkey81@gmail.com I’ve got some parts you might want.
Nothing wrong with stock, just depends how you want to use it.
About 95% of my usage will be trail, though just cruising around town in Jeep is a lot of fun too!
Nothing wrong with mods either, as long as they aren't Disney'd..
My '91 was also a pretty clean stocker when I got it 3 years ago w/114k.
Guess the $4500 I paid for mine was steal, though I thought it was little high at the time.
Who Knew?

Nothing wrong with stock, just depends how you want to use it.
About 95% of my usage will be trail, though just cruising around town in Jeep is a lot of fun too!
Nothing wrong with mods either, as long as they aren't Disney'd..
My '91 was also a pretty clean stocker when I got it 3 years ago w/114k.
Guess the $4500 I paid for mine was steal, though I thought it was little high at the time.
Who Knew?
I am curious to know what Disney'd means.

If you are talking this:71lFJK+Wv2L._AC_SX425_.jpg

Then by god, I finally found what I am doing!

The Jeep
I just bought a 1995 base model S (2.5L with 42K original miles). Emerald Green, runs really well, no radio, no a/c, no carpets... just a bare bones YJ. I paid a bit over market due to the low mileage and overall condition, but it needs a bit of work:

View attachment 118554
  • lower windshield frame is rusted through
  • surface rust on the original wheels
  • soft top is old, weathered, and some seams are ripped
  • rear seat doesn't match factory tan
  • some fading on interior half doors
  • soft top hardware is on its last leg
The Options
I'd love the group's input on a few directions I could take the Jeep. Note that I'll be using this for a beach and around town car; very rarely will I be going off-road or taking it on the highway.
  1. Restore to factory original. I personally like this option because there are so few out there with good mileage and it would be fun to see it in its original condition. Would require some time/money/patience, but I'd hope I could restore to be worth about what I paid + put into it in a couple of years.
  2. Light mods. 31" wheels, hard top for rainy months, seats, bumpers at a minimum. I like this option because it will feel newer, but I don't think it'll do wonders for the value of the car longer term.
  3. Keep as-is. Beat it up, ride it to the ground, don't update anything.
Thoughts or recommendations? :)

View attachment 118555

View attachment 118556

View attachment 118557

View attachment 118558

View attachment 118559

View attachment 118560

View attachment 118561
Nice jeep!
Fix what needs to be fixed as far as running, driving and stopping. Change all the fluids.

31 inch tires will rub without modification or offset wheels. 30x9.5x15 is as far as you can go if you plan on doing any offroading, 31 will fit, go go off road and you will see what I mean.

I went with a BDS 2 inch lift from www.jackit.com, excellent kit, 31x10.5x15 BFG tires, a winch, and a vacuum solenoid actuator cable replacement, (this is a common issue with YJ).

Late to the party here...new member but not new to YJ's I think you should keep it as stock as possible. I see a lot of potential there. (Disclaimer I've got a 95 emerald green also!)