Locked axles

WhoDeyYJ

Have a question on locked axles. I am picking up a 1990 YJ. Owner says it has one of permanent locked axle kits on it. Is it a big process to remove that? Just need to pull it and install new spider gears? Or can I drive it as is? I’ve seen people say they drive it like that on pavement, always thought that was a no go? Sorry if this was answered before, i have searched but most posts are about installing lockers not removing! Thanks!

I'm guessing it's in the rear?
You can drive it as locked, but but it will super wear the tires.
If it's permanently locked, it depends on how they did it, welded gears or a spool?
If it's a lunchbox locker their super easy to remove though you'll need spider gears.

Reactions: WhoDeyYJ
I'm guessing it's in the rear?
If it's permanently locked, it depends on how they did it, welded gears or a spool?
If it's a lunchbox locker their super easy to remove though you'll need spider gears.
Front and rear are locked. I’m going to look at it today and will know more. He said it was a kit they used to lock them. So sounds like it should be removable.

Front and rear are locked. I’m going to look at it today and will know more. He said it was a kit they used to lock them. So sounds like it should be removable.
Sounds like mini-spools, though I'm not aware of any for a Jeep other than the D44.
The front must still have the CAD or they wouldn't be able to steer.
Let us know what you find.

DF2704B1-3BF4-4D6F-ABA8-6DB5343634EF.png
Sounds like mini-spools, though I'm not aware of any for a Jeep other than the D44.
The front must still have the CAD or they wouldn't be able to steer.
Let us know what you find.
This is what he said is installed. It is able to steer and everything. Looks like it completely removes the CAD.

This is what he said is installed. It is able to steer and everything. Looks like it completely removes the CAD.
Ok, that has nothing to do with locking the diff, that permanently engages the CAD.
Just makes the front axle like running with the hubs locked in all the time.
Also means the front drive shaft will always turn, though you may have to replace it with a CV shaft if you have vibes at high speed.
I'm eliminating mine with a one piece pass axle and got CV DSs' for both ends, so no problem there.

You can drive it as is, as Joe said. The front driveshaft will always turn from the perma-lock kit but it will spin freely from the rest of the transfer case. You will not want to ever flat tow it unless you open up the transfer case and use a true neutral shifter plate like the TJs have. I installed one in mine when I did my recent new SYE kit.

True neutral plate

Ok, that has nothing to do with locking the diff, that permanently engages the CAD.
Just makes the front axle like running with the hubs locked in all the time.
Also means the front drive shaft will always turn, though you may have to replace it with a CV shaft if you have vibes at high speed.
I'm eliminating mine with a one piece pass axle and got CV DSs' for both ends, so no problem there.
Gotcha! That makes sense.
I’ll see how it does vibration wise when I pick it up and start driving it.

Thanks for the response and input! I appreciate it!

You can drive it as is, as Joe said. The front driveshaft will always turn from the perma-lock kit but it will spin freely from the rest of the transfer case. You will not want to ever flat tow it unless you open up the transfer case and use a true neutral shifter plate like the TJs have. I installed one in mine when I did my recent new SYE kit.

True neutral plate
Thanks for the advise man, really appreciate the help

Thanks for the advise man, really appreciate the help
Sure thing. And to test if the PO maybe swapped to the true neutral plate, just put the transfer case in neutral and see if the rear and front driveshafts can spin independent of each other. YJ keeps them engaged, and the front vacuum CAD which has been deleted on your Jeep allows them to differentiate.

The true neutral plate alters the way the shifter mechanism in the t-case works and allows the front and rear driveshafts to spin separately when transfer case is in neutral, so flat towing works properly.

Sure thing. And to test if the PO maybe swapped to the true neutral plate, just put the transfer case in neutral and see if the rear and front driveshafts can spin independent of each other. YJ keeps them engaged, and the front vacuum CAD which has been deleted on your Jeep allows them to differentiate.

The true neutral plate alters the way the shifter mechanism in the t-case works and allows the front and rear driveshafts to spin separately when transfer case is in neutral, so flat towing works properly.
Awesome, I will check that out when I pick her up this weekend. Thanks again!

Reactions: machoheadgames