Lifts / Tire Sizes

Pip45

My stock 89 2.5L YJ suspension is quite worn out and I wanted to replace it all with an aftermarket lift kit. The Jeep is for my 16 yr old daughter but my wife thinks she’s getting it as her weekend toy once our daughter goes off to college. It’s going to be a pavement queen no matter who drives it. So the lift is strictly for appearances and better ride quality than the current 30 yr old suspension. I was originally thinking a Rubicon Express 2.5” lift with some new/used tires/wheels. My tires are quire old too even though tread is decent and not too dry rotted. After looking for prob 2-3 months I found a really good set of five tires and wheels in North Texas. So I snagged them. The tires are 33” BFG Mud Terrains which are almost new, still have the knobbies on the tires. Since I bought the tires and have them sitting at home, I’ve been looking at lifts more seriously. And I see RE states that a 2.5” lift is only good up to 31” tires. And other lift manufacturers say about the same. So if I stick with the 33s, it appears I need a 4” lift. Which def pushes me into a SYE and rear driveshaft purchase as well for another $600 or so. Which I didn’t really wanna do just because of cost.

So here’s the question. Are the tire size limitations listed by lift manufacturers gospel? Or are they just ultra conservative in their listed tire sizes? If I tried to get away w a 2.5” lift and 33s, what would the tires rub on? Just the fender flares? Would it only rub on a full tight turn? Also, I know the 2.5L with the AX5 trans is already a dog with no giddy-up, which I’m fine with. You don’t buy an old YJ to drag race people anyway. But am I gonna burn up the trans by putting more load on it with the 33s? I wouldn’t think so for a Jeep that isn’t mudding or trail riding. Also, any opinions on lift brands (good or bad) I’d appreciate. Just looking for some opinions.

Thanks

If a small spring lift isn't enough, consider adding a 1" - 1-1/4" body lift.
It's actually a nice combo and doesn't give too much bumper "butt crack".
Mine has a 2-1/2" RC spring lift with a 1" BL and it just clears the 32's.

The AX5 is not a strong trans and has been known to fail just driving it on the street.
I have one with 2.5 MPI and i don't like it, I don't trust it any further than I could throw it either, hence the future swap.
I know you got a deal on the 33's, and it's just for appearance, but they're going to seriously tax the tranny & driveabilty.

Jeep built the Yj as a car and as such it takes a lot to turn them back into a "Jeep".
I hate to be a wet blanket, but I have spent thousands of dollars on mine trying to get there and I'm still not there.

I put a RC 2.5" spring lift on my 94 2.5L and gained almost 4" overall lift. I also had to add a t-case drop kit as I picked up some driveline vibrations and I wasn't ready to shell out money for a SYE. I'm running 31X10.5X15 Patagonia Milestar A/T's and I probably wouldn't go any bigger than that size on stock drivetrain components.

Jeep.jpg

Reactions: jeepjoe43
I had a 2.5 lift with 33x12.5's. To me it look and rode fine as far as not rubbing goes. I went back to stock wheels though for much better street behavior.
The jeep has an extended pitman arm, extended brake lines and sway bar ends too..so its a bit more than adding leafs and shocks when you lift them.

I put a RC 2.5" spring lift on my 94 2.5L and gained almost 4" overall lift. I also had to add a t-case drop kit as I picked up some driveline vibrations and I wasn't ready to shell out money for a SYE. I'm running 31X10.5X15 Patagonia Milestar A/T's and I probably wouldn't go any bigger than that size on stock drivetrain components.

View attachment 118343
Nice lookin' ride, very clean! Zero BS.

Like you, my 2-1/2" RC's also came up way more than I thought they would, about 4-1/2, maybe 5".
But the factories were trashed.
When I put the old 30-9.50's back on to get it to Discount, it looked absolutely silly.

Nice lookin' ride, very clean! Zero BS.

Like you, my 2-1/2" RC's also came up way more than I thought they would, about 4-1/2, maybe 5".
But the factories were trashed.
When I put the old 30-9.50's back on to get it to Discount, it looked absolutely silly.
Thanks. I almost think my OEM springs were reverse arched….