Leaf Spring Hitting Frame

caanderson109

Bought a new jeep a year or so ago and have loved the information from these forums so figured its time to join one and ask for help myself. The frame is a 1992 wrangler yj, i bought a ford 8.8 that someone took out of there yj to go to a 9 inch, so everything bolted right up (ill be checking pinion angle once engine and tranny and in position). I did some frame repair on both sides of the rear frame, I am certain everything is in the right spot. But here lies my problem, the first picture shows the rear leaf shackle position when I bought it with the D35, I then took the leafs and shackles off, wire wheeled them and painted them, they sat on the floor for maybe a few months, then put the 8.8 in and now with the same leaf springs, the leafs seem to short and hit the frame. First thing i thought was i welded the new frame plates to far back, but i have checked my measurements multiple times and it is dead on accurate (i have a spare stock frame as well). I messed with the pinion angle with different angle blocks on top of leafs thinking its twisting it towards the frame, but it doesn't make a difference. Seems like it should be an easy solution, but can't seem to figure it out, and i didn't think weight of the tub would effect it that much sense it was fine when i took the tub off originally, unless the leafs settled and now curled up or something weird. I will double check this today or tomorrow, but the leaf springs is 42.5" center to center. I will swap out the springs on my other frame in a week or so to test those as well, but everything is measuring the same. Its a rough country 4" lift spring by the way. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

13104.JPEG
IMG_1777.jpg

Bad springs...Likely be Pro Craps. The added weight will bring them towards normal a bit but as you can see the first time you get axle drop the shackles will invert against the frame and you'll have rigid suspension. I had this problem after installing a Procrap lift on a CJ5. The springs are to short in a nut shell. Id imagine the front has the same problem or will first bump you hit. Why now? that is odd.cant imagine them returning to their original arch.