Islander, Sahara, Rio Grande- Just sticker packages?

YJ103

Was reading something on another thread and it got me wondering about the different editions out there. I know the Rubicon offers some sort of suspension and off-road equipment, but just what do you get with the "Islander, "Sahara", and "Rio Grande"? Are these just color themes and stickers, or is there some sort of special feature and/or equipment with those options?

I have what I think is a Rio Grande, only by the color combination and seats. Title doesn't mention anything and its been repainted, removing all the original decals.

My 95 was a Sahara IIRC. Fancier seats,door panels and stickers. No upgraded running gear or anything like that which was the case with all the fancy packages. Those last years of TJ and LJ Rubicons will be like gold for some time to come I suspect.

Reactions: jeepjoe43
Islander offered between 88 and 93 came with sunset retro looking decals on the hood and sides. The colors offered were white, yellow, red, and two different blue colors. There were also two different style decals from what I saw online. Interior I believe came in grey with grey carpet.

Rio Grande was offered in 95 and only came with the 4 cylinder. It came with a southwest theme interior and the body colors were gold, green, or white. It also had a Rio Grande decal on the rear side of the Jeep.

Sahara was offered from 88 to the end. Like Gilaguy23 said above, it came with awesome distinct seats with map bags on the back as well as the door trim. It had matching color fenders and side steps. The interior had green carpet and was normally equipped with air conditioning. The Sahara trim was the model used for the Jurassic Park Jeep and partly because of this the Saharas that are stock and in great condition usually have a bump in price.

Laredo came with chrome trim and grille plus leather seats.

Renegade came with fancier wheels and had the wider fender flares.

Reactions: Weasellee
islander package included:
  • hood and lower body had sunset graphics
  • it had floor carpeting and Wrangler embossments
  • islander logo on the spare tire cover and front fenders
  • side steps
  • wheel flares of the body color
  • half or full door option
  • 20gallon fuel tank option
  • 5 spoke alloy wheel option,
  • high back seats and gray interior
  • a center console with cup holders

So if I understand this correctly, only the Rub offers any type of performance upgrade, all the rest were just different versions of trim packages. That's disappointing. You'd think that with all those versions, you'd get some added performance, not just different shades of lipstick. BTW, does anyone even like that Renegade fender package? Ugh.

Reactions: Weasellee
So if I understand this correctly, only the Rub offers any type of performance upgrade, all the rest were just different versions of trim packages. That's disappointing. You'd think that with all those versions, you'd get some added performance, not just different shades of lipstick. BTW, does anyone even like that Renegade fender package? Ugh.
Yep, and I believe that is how the trim levels are today. The Rubicon offers the upgraded off-road package while the other trims are just whether or not you want manual/electronic windows, locks, or luxury leather seats.

I personally don't care for the wider fenders, but I think those sell for higher dollar too if kept in good shape.