Is this fixable?

SirDoopYJ

YJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Pulled the seats out because I noticed some cracking. Could this possibly be welded back and still be fine?

Driver's side seat hole
20210801_115451.jpg20210801_115455.jpg

Passenger side seat hole
20210801_112412.jpg20210801_112408.jpg

Drill the ends of the cracks to stop its growth. Clean it 100% shiney and MIG or TIG would do the trick. I have the same issue with my 91 on the passenger side. With a body sitting there it pops every bump ya hit.

Even my Jeep is telling me I need to lose weight. Alright that sounds good. My dad is thinking maybe adding a strip of metal across both holes to help reinforce it. Then we are either going to add the same thickness of metal on top of the other holes or uses washer to shimmy the bolts.

Yeah that happens to almost all YJs no matter the weight of the driver. I suppose the heavier the driver the worse it gets but it happens to most all of them. Somehow I’ve been lucky and it hasn’t happened to mine.

I think part of it is due to the stamped steel seat brackets, they have a part that sticks out right there and presses hard into the floor at the bolt hole locations, and then the weight of the passenger or driver puts lots of pressure on those points.

Get them welded up and it should be fine.

I'm thinking weld them up and add a big washer to reinforce & help spread the load.
You might have to get creative where the driver side bolts to the "hump".