Intermittent mystery sound from engine and loss of power

Franticship

New to group and hope that yall can help me figure this out.

My 95 YJ starts hard and intermittently has a horrible idle. Sounds like it's missing. So if you drive it it has a what sounds like broken glass only when in gear and moving forward (no sound in reverse) it also has loss of power when this happens. Through experimenting I have learned that if you can get to second gear, put in neutral, turn off and turn back on and put into 3rd gear, it goes away.

I have changed what seems like everything on the ignition side over the last 3 months. Changed fuel pump/fuel filter about 5 months ago. Replaced all the sensors except the O2 sensors. Checked all the grounds i could find to make sure they are connected well. I just can't seem to nail it down. The hardest part is that it doesn't happen all the time and there are no codes being thrown and to make it even more frustrating is when it runs normal it runs better than it ever has.

Anybody have ideas?

I haven't experienced your exact sounds, but mine had a bit of a hard start and a bad idle, but not too bad. Anyway, my problem was a engine knock and I did replace the fuel injectors. After that, it started and ran much smoother.

That broken glass sound makes me think there's a transmission problem. Maybe a syncro broke. I have heard on there being 5th gear problems which cause them to pop off the shaft or something.

Loss of power could be the transmission binding up when two gears engage like 1st and 2nd at the same time.

That broken glass sound makes me think there's a transmission problem. Maybe a syncro broke. I have heard on there being 5th gear problems which cause them to pop off the shaft or something.

Loss of power could be the transmission binding up when two gears engage like 1st and 2nd at the same time.
Boom goes the advice!!