Install new cam and mill the heads.

Tree top flyer

Supporting Member
I need some advice on my 89 4.2L engine. I am getting ready to install a Clifford Performance Camshaft, new valves, springs, etc. , and mill the head .60 over. My question is, " Will it be easier to pull the engine and replace the cam, do the head work, etc., do the change with the engine installed?? I can see pluses and minuses to both ways, so need some good advice. Thanks

Curious if the cam is used or? I dont see that Clifford lists one for a 258/4.0. At any rate is its new or used mic the lobes if you would. I wont elaborate on why id suggest you do that before installing it.

Ya, each way has it's up's & down's, obviously easier to work on the motor out of the vehicle.
But if it were me, I would try to leave the motor in if possible, just that much less work.
Though I don't know if the frame stabilizer is going to be in the way of getting the cam out and back in.

Look into a cam install tool if don't already have one.
it's just a handle that bolts to the front of cam so you can control it and don't bunger-up your bearings. (which is very easy to do)

Thanks
Ya, each way has it's up's & down's, obviously easier to work on the motor out of the vehicle.
But if it were me, I would try to leave the motor in if possible, just that much less work.
Though I don't know if the frame stabilizer is going to be in the way of getting the cam out and back in.

Look into a cam install tool if don't already have one.
it's just a handle that bolts to the front of cam so you can control it and don't bunger-up your bearings. (which is very easy to do)
Thanks for the help . I installed this rebuilt ATK engine about 2500 miles ago, and aside from the normal disassembly/reassembly, the engine went in fairly straight forward. I am weighing that against tearing down the whole front of the Jeep? I'll have to give it more thought I guess.

Curious if the cam is used or? I dont see that Clifford lists one for a 258/4.0. At any rate is its new or used mic the lobes if you would. I wont elaborate on why id suggest you do that before installing it.
It's a new cam. Came with everything, including new shorter pushrods. And you are right, it is not advertised. I called Larry to get his suggestions on increased performance, even though I was relatively happy with the 258 intake/Weber/Header kit from them. Larry advised me that the delivery time was eight to ten weeks. That may be why he doesn't advertise in the catalog for this kit. I would like to hear your comment about "micing" the cam though.

Just to ensure the grind quality/consistency of the lobes and journals. Lots of work for you and anything to eliminate issues before the install is a good idea. To much stuff coming from overseas these days ya know.,

Reactions: jeepjoe43
This is something Toyota finally did on the FJ engines way back. I recall the 2F having "rotating valves" At any rate Treetop, what are you wanting to do on the 258? Id consider the torque and HP outputs from stock to the clifford parts. Low end grunt VS what might be a big loss down low traded for top end HP and RPM like mud bog pedal to the medal running.