In need of wiring advice

JronATL

Hi guys!

Complete noob to the Jeep world here. In fact, I don't even own this one, but I plan to treat it like I do. My elderly parents have a 1994 4-cylinder YJ that is basically all original. and was used to knock around on the farm. All of their grandkids have learned to drive a stick with it so far, except the youngest. They don't drive anymore, so it's been sitting for a bit.

I want to get it running, and I want to get it running well, but I live several hours away. So my work on it will have to be every couple weeks. Last I drove it--last summer--I took it for a new battery after clearing out the 5" wide hornet's nest on top of the old one.

Last visit, I jumped it off and it died immediately after removing the cables from the connected car. Looking at the wiring, it appears the chipmunks have gotten under the hood now that the wasps aren't there to keep them out, and one of the spark plug wires has been gnawed up pretty good. That's fine. I can replace the spark plugs and wires next time I'm over there.

However, would that keep it from running without a connected car? Before I found that I thought it might need a new alternator, or perhaps some alternator wires I can't see are also chewed.

Does it sound like I need both? I could go out and start replacing things but I have to budget my time very carefully on this--I need to spend time caring for them when I'm there, so I can't spend too much time under the hood each visit.

thoughts??

Sitting a year likely destroyed the battery. As far as it running on 3...it should, but poorly obviously. Fresh gas, a charged battery and a digital multi meter might do wonders on what shape its in electrically.
That’s helpful. Seems like a great place to start.

Well the nest is gone so that should be simpler. Honestly, seeing this pic again, I must have replaced it longer ago than I was remembering.
EE070222-4B62-4F38-8600-DC2C6D838CD1.jpeg

Id not use any of the hi zoot, last for ever overpriced plugs. The basic Champion or autolite coppers work fine and for wires just a good set of OEM trye replacements. Personally I use Rockauto unless im in a hurry for something. Good old 10/30 or 5/30 High mileage like Valvoline or?? Wix, purolator, Fram silver filters are good although many dont like Fram from years past. Check that air box for a nasty rats nest in it and have a look at the OEM rubber elbows atthe ends of the vacuum lines. They like to crack after decades of time.

That’s what I’ve feared. Not too hard to swap the alternator is it?

I’m a noob at this but comfortable with fixing most other things.
Easy job with the help of YouTube. Be sure to get a set of ratcheting wrenches to make the job of removing/reinstalling the the belt easier

Reactions: JronATL
Easy job with the help of YouTube. Be sure to get a set of ratcheting wrenches to make the job of removing/reinstalling the the belt easier
Anything specific to worry about on the serpentine belt?
One more question! Can't seem to find the answer on here. Does it matter if I get a 75 of 90 Amp alternator?

Nevermind--can't seem to delete but I got the answers I needed

Last edited:
Solved. Finally back at my parents’ house

Turns out the battery was way older than I thought. I guess the last time I bought them a battery it was for their pickup not their Jeep. One of the original battery terminal clamps was broken so I replaced them both when I replaced the battery .

AND - the major $10 issue - the 50A fuses for the alternator were both blown. Glad I checked before I replaced the alternator. Will return the one I bought tomorrow.

Easy fix!