Ignition turns all the way and will not start

Kenevik11

88 YJ Wrangler - I have had to turn my ignition all the way forward to get the Jeep to start. Today would not start at all. Replaced the ignition (key) cylinder but still does the same thing. Turns all the way and does not start and the key does not spring back. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'll second the electric switch needs replacing. I had a similar problem with a Patriot and Explorer. You may have to look for a video or go to the reference section in this forum because it can be a little tricky with the steering lock. But not a hard job to do.

Reactions: Kenevik11
When you say electric switch can you clarify exactly what that is please and where it is located? I replaced the ignition switch but the new one just turns freely with no resistance whatsoever when I turn the key. Thank you!

When you say it doesn't start I have to clarify if you mean the starter turns but the engine doesn't run or the starter doesn't turn at all?

Take a look here in the factory manuals for parts and trouble shooting.

When I ask to clarify it's kinda funny because different parts of the country use different terms. I've read "my engine doesn't crank" in some states that means the starter isn't turning but in other states it means the engine starts and runs like crap. :) go figure.

By switch, I mean the plastic part with the wires coming out not the key cylinder. Usually those are two separate parts. Those wires can be tested with a meter to see if that's the problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kenevik11
I have replaced both the ignition switch (electric component that wiring harness plugs into) on the steering column behind the dash AND the ignition tumbler switch with key. Still the key turns freely with no resistance (not springing back) and the Jeep does nothing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

A mechanic told me that I need a whole new steering column because something was broken inside linked to the tumbler. Does this sound reasonable or are there parts that could be replaced for less money? I priced used steering columns and they are quite pricey.