I removed my A/C compressor. Here's how it ended up.

OldJoe28

I didn't want the AC on my '87 YJ. Compressor doesn't have any freon, who knows why.
I looked @ on line and found a GREAT posting about what a guy had done the same thing.
So, I ordered the Dorman Air Compressor By Pass Pulley part #34237 on Amazon.
Purchased a Dayco 5060805 belt he said he used.
He cut the tabs off bracket, installed the shorter belt.
I was going to do same, but.......
Took compressor off and laid the by pass pulley top of mounts just to see WTF.
Slipped existing belt over pulley to get idea of how it'd go.
" Hmmmmmm, maybe I can use existing belt and not cut bracket mounts"?????
I took a 2" almn. angle and lay it on base,( there is a metal one in back for rear compressor).
Drilled holes to mount it on compressor bracket laid By pass on top, marked place for new mounting holes, Drilled them, then drill almn angle, bolt it all together, used existing belt to finish mod off.
Didn't have to use new belt!!!
Seems like it works well, sturdy!
Make sure By Pass Pulley is slightly IN from alt to make sure it works well,( center line on compressor and By Pass Pulley is under radiator hose).
Might have to cut out area to get at #1 spark plug,( maybe).
Took bout 2 hours with stops for refilling my pipe, find better hardware.
Pics I hope are better than my explanation!
Joe

IMG_3227.jpg

IMG_3225.jpg

IMG_3228.jpg

IMG_3224.jpg

Reactions: ytradio
Tanks!😁
I can't take credit for it, can't think of the guy who did all the hard work,( finding the pulley set up and belt size), he is the Genius!
I didn't want to," hack" up the existing bracket, ( dunno why, I know I'll NEVER reinstall the compressor, or fix the AC!
I actually have a complete 4.2 I just rebuilt on the stand waiting to be installed,( unless I sell it first)!
I might cut that bracket flat, but the webbing underneath had me concerned about drilling holes and mounting it.
Joe