How is center cap attached?

reidboy1

Supporting Member
Hi all. Adding a center cap to my spare. Does anyone know how they are attached? Not sure if they’re threaded, but it looks like I need to find 5 screws.? I could remove one of the tires to find out, but hoping someone can save me the trouble. Thanks

5606B0DE-0911-42AD-80F3-2FB1790A742C.jpeg

They are attached with small, #6 or 8 hex head sheet metal type screws from the back side of the wheel. Don't overdo the screw diameter or you'll crack the mounting stubs, nor would I use self tapping. Its screws up the metal cap part where the screws go in.

They are attached with small, #6 or 8 hex head sheet metal type screws from the back side of the wheel. Don't overdo the screw diameter or you'll crack the mounting stubs, nor would I use self tapping. Its screws up the metal cap pwhere the screws go in.
They are attached with small, #6 or 8 hex head sheet metal type screws from the back side of the wheel. Don't overdo the screw diameter or you'll crack the mounting stubs, nor would I use self tapping. It’s screws up the metal cap part where the screws go in.
Thank you! I will search those out and be sure of the fitting.

I used plastic fasteners like these:

Thanks! I picked up some screws as per the first response, will attach it tomorrow. But I have a box of these in my cart on Amazon as I know they’re an essential with these YJ’s. If the screw doesn’t fit, I have my option.

Reactions: redbullet
If you use the plastic non threaded retainers you'll play hell getting the caps back off when you need new tires. The caps molded on screw stubs will likely snap off. Unless you have after market new ones dont forget their 30 years old or so.

If you use the plastic non threaded retainers you'll play hell getting the caps back off when you need new tires. The caps molded on screw stubs will likely snap off. Unless you have after market new ones dont forget their 30 years old or so.
I had neither of these problems when getting a new tire after attaching the fasteners

Like I said, if the fasteners cant be unscrewed then its pry or pound on a $20 plastic cap. To each their own ;)
Like I said, if the fasteners cant be unscrewed then its pry or pound on a $20 plastic cap. To each their own ;)
Agreed. To each their own. My cutting pliers definitely cannot remove these indestructible plastic fasteners in less than a second and that is without loosening them up with pb blaster, torch, or grinder.

Agreed. To each their own. My cutting pliers definitely cannot remove these indestructible plastic fasteners in less than a second and that is without loosening them up with pb blaster, torch, or grinder.
They are attached with small, #6 or 8 hex head sheet metal type screws from the back side of the wheel. Don't overdo the screw diameter or you'll crack the mounting stubs, nor would I use self tapping. Its screws up the metal cap part where the screws go in.
The #8 screws did the trick. Two did not grab, so I assume the mounting stubs were damaged previously. But 3 grabbed tight, so I’m good to go. Thanks to both of you for responding.

19B52D9E-2F7F-4011-9E78-B78FD1FB4064.jpeg

Clean lookin Jeep!!! I have a thing for original, unmolested vehicles. Its like taking a trip in a time machine. ;)
Exactly! And that was the appeal. Picked it up in January, was a one-owner AZ car. It’s as base a model as you could get, only options I believe, were carpeting and rear wiper. It really is spectacular.