Help with radio and lighter outlet

cameron.rw

The radio and outlet was working until fairly recently according to the owner. The wiring looks rough and the radio that was in it I can tell has water damage and probably no longer works. I want to check and see if the fuse is okay to start going through it. The manual says the fuse is number 10 but I am seeing where it says radio in the bottom left corner and I don't know what that slot is for. So any tips in starting and what that part of the fuse box is I'd appreciate the help!

This is an 89 with the 4.2

I have a different model but to start with I would pull out every fuse and relay and clean the blade connectors off and spray the connection with a good contact cleaner. This may be the first time they've been out and sure to have corrosion and dirt built up on them.

Reactions: ShawnM
Get the wiring diagrams. The one you want's on page 8W-101, and there's a diagram of the fuse panel on 8W-139. The YJ used a GM fuse block, and didn't wire things exactly like Chevy did, so the labels on the fuse panel aren't always right.

That's the 'red wire' circuit. It's basically the main ignition-switched auxiliary circuit, so it gets tapped into and butchered for any widgets folks want to wire in. If you look at the fuse panel, there's a vertical column of four plug points on the left side. They're all fed off that same fuse (#7 20A), so it's easy to tap that circuit without disturbing anything. But of course, everyone cuts/splices into the wires feeding the cigar lighters instead.