Has anyone replaced their exhaust?

Flyer58

YJ Enthusiast
My exhaust seemed a little loud and found there must be a blowout near the catalytic converter. It must be under the heat shroud on top because I never saw it when the transmission was out.

Not many places other than Quadratech have complete systems. My cast iron header is still ok for grocery shopping.

Anyone bought one for the early '92 YJ?

I did mine when I did the engine swap, and bought various pieces (tailpipe, muffler, aftermarket cat) separately. I had to do a lot of tweaking, as not everything was as "direct replacement" as they said. I was able to modify and weld it up, but if I had to do the exhaust on a stock yj, I'd absolutely buy a complete kit where all the pieces are designed to fit together. It will still be a dirty, miserable job, but you can hope for fewer unpleasant surprises.

Better yet I'd give a local muffler shop the work and be done with it.

Reactions: Flyer58
Thanks Walt, I called ther local muffler shop and to my surprise their price was only $150 more than me buying the parts and installing it. Or should I say busting my knuckles.

Reactions: Walt Jaquith
Replaced mine from the manifold back.
Got everything, including the cat from Rock Auto for about $300.
Everything fit perfectly and it was one of the nicer products I've installed.
Easy install, but I was on a lift with the T-case and skid out of the way.

Like the others said a pieced together system with lots of clamps is a PITA. Spend the extra bucks and have the shop do it. Let me add on various forums guys seem hot to off the cat as the live in no smog check areas. Do yourself a favor and dont. It will do NOTHING for performance and will likely make for more noxious fumes coming in the back when topless or the back window open or zipped down.

Like the others said a pieced together system with lots of clamps is a PITA. Spend the extra bucks and have the shop do it. Let me add on various forums guys seem hot to off the cat as the live in no smog check areas. Do yourself a favor and dont. It will do NOTHING for performance and will likely make for more noxious fumes coming in the back when topless or the back window open or zipped down.
Amen on the cat.
No smog in my area either, but the best demographic in my area if I decide to sell it, does.
Besides, I like nice and Quiet.

I've changed my exhaust... the pipe from the manifold down, old cat, then resonator instead of cat (made for countries where they're not required), then a brand new cat, changed tail pipes 3 times, 5-6 mufflers? And this is all within 8 months. :D I like playing with exhausts. Experimenting with combinations and sounds / tones.

I had no cat for about three+ weeks, but only driven a handful of times in that period, I think with different mufflers each time. I found the exhaust fumes rather objectionable. I decided rather than put the old one back on, I put in a new one.

My most recent combination is fairly bland, while a little louder than stock. Problem is I can hear so many more noises now. I realized today I was listening to tire noise, which I'd never heard before, was never able to. lol

FYI, for what its worth I ran my new tailpipe out the right side just behind the spring shackle. Did wonders for the fumes. Probably not optimal for the rock crawler crowd but for my needs and use its good.

Reactions: jeepjoe43
FYI, for what its worth I ran my new tailpipe out the right side just behind the spring shackle. Did wonders for the fumes. Probably not optimal for the rock crawler crowd but for my needs and use its good.
No fume probs with the stock dump on mine, though I would like to lop about 3" off the end of it.

I had a full length tail pipe and the gas stink was just awful. Not just talking about driving, just idling in my driveway. Which puzzles me, as I've sure owned more than a few cars and trucks without cats and never noticed it before. Might have more to how that engine is tuned... or isn't.

Reactions: jeepjoe43
I had a full length tail pipe and the gas stink was just awful. Not just talking about driving, just idling in my driveway. Which puzzles me, as I've sure owned more than a few cars and trucks without cats and never noticed it before. Might have more to how that engine is tuned... or isn't.
Had the gas stink before replacing the exhaust, but that turned out to be a burst fuel line to the filter (and a broken tank).
The PO also had a turbo muffler welded to the cat, not the pipe, the cat, and dumped it right over the axle.
It was also smelling stinking rich all the time.
But before replacing the whole exhaust system, I changed the pressure regulator where I also found a broken vacuum elbow.
Didn't run it enough before the exhaust replace to say if that was the fix or replacing the compromised cat.
New fuel hose, new regulator, new elbow and new exhaust, no more stink. Happy.

Last edited:
Amen on the cat.
No smog in my area either, but the best demographic in my area if I decide to sell it, does.
Besides, I like nice and Quiet.
Yes mine was cut-off when i bought it and i got the new stuff come to find out was too short due to the lack of cat space