Grinding noise from the driveline

Don329

I have a 1987 YJ 198,000 Mi. when at speed 4th 5th gear if i add power or reduce power I get a grinding noise in the drive line. If you can imagine a carrier barring grinding when power add or reduces it grinds due to torque changes. But I dont have a carrier bearing. Any guesses?

I recently went through a similar thing. The seal on the transfer case extension was leaking, and when I discovered it there was almost no fluid left in the transfer case. After some swearing, we got to replacing the seal... but it was still leaking and there was still a noise.
So we got another seal AND replaced the bushing, and that stopped the leaking... but the noise was still there! I was convinced it was the transfer case.

So we put it up on jack stands and I drove while he listened with a stethoscope, and he felt confident it was NOT the transfer case. So, we decided to check the wheel bearings.

They weren’t awful, but we went ahead and put in new bearings and seals, changed the gear oil, and while we were at it we rehabbed the drum brakes (e brake works now 😆) ... went for a test drive and ... the noise was still there! ARGH!

SO, it turned out that the seal at the front of the rear differential was toast, and the races on the bearings behind it were pitted all to hell from road grime finding it’s way in. Fortunately, the spider gears and ring/pinion all looked good. We put in new carrier bearings and new pinion gear bearings.... sound is gone!

So there’s a lot of bearings that could be making the noise. I hope your fix is quick and easy!