Goodyear Wrangler Radials

SqLites

Supporting Member
There has been a lot of info/mis-info on the availability of the original stock GoodYear Wrangler Radial tires over the past several years. Ten years ago, I was in need of a new set of tires. Over the years, I had purchased two subsequent sets of the original stock Wrangler Radials. (On my first new set, the Good Year dealer suggested that I could upgrade from a 215/75 R15 to the 235/75 R15 which fit perfectly & I felt gave my YJ a "beefier" look w/o a lift.) Shopping for my, then, 2013 4th set for my rig, I was informed that the Wrangler Radial was no longer available, so I switched to the Good Year Wrangler RT/S.

I only drive my Jeep about 1500 mi/year these days, and still had about 33% tread left on the 2013 tires but my mechanic suggested getting a new set, as tires past their prime (9 years) are considered unsafe. As I researched replacement tires, I came to realize that raised letter (RL) tires were not as universally available/produced as in the past. My desire to stay brand-loyal to Good Year was being challenged. Out of the blue, just before Thanksgiving, I "Googled" the Wrangler Radial and to my surprise found them for sale at, of all places, WalMart, and reasonably priced @ $75.00. Purchased them that day, and took them to my mechanic for mounting and wheel alignment. So happy to have original Wrangler Radials back on my Jeep.

These tires, I believe, are only avail in the 235/75 R15 size, so if you still drive on stock YJ rims, they will fit. If you ID your vehicle as an '86 to '95 YJ on the Good Year (or other tire) websites, it will tell you that this size tire is not compatible. However, I assure you that I've driven on 235's for the past 20+ years. (If you look carefully @ the picture posted below, you will see the tire size just above the "R" in GoodYear.) This tire has served me well for years & years.

Good Year Wrangler Radial.jpeg

Reactions: DOWNS
Yeah Wal Mart has been one of the last holdouts to carry those tires. I believe Pep Boys still carries them for about 80 per tire. This last go round, I went with GoodYear Wrangler Trailrunners on the XJ and YJ.