Good grief Charlie Brown!

jpjeep26uk

YJ Enthusiast
After a brief stay in Hospital I'm back to try to fix my ruddy Jeep.

New ECU is now firing the injector and fuel is entering the throttle body.
But it's just sitting there in a pool under the valve.

The Jeep cranks really well and I cleaned the sparks but it seems like the fuel is not going into the engine??

If I put my foot right on the floor it coughs and splitters and backfires and one one occasion it felt like it was juuuuuuust about to kick in for a brief second, but as soon as I took my foot off the accelerator it shuddered a bit and that was that. Nada

Any ideas folks? I'm on the verge of selling it as is, as I can't drive for four months anyway thanks to illness and she's not moved in almost three months.

Thank you once again.

Dude....Keep the faith and wrench on. Two things to check, The ignition ie.fire from the distributor to the plugs...Old wires?
AND is the ECU matched to the motor...2.5 or 4.0? I'm not understanding what you mean by the "Pooling" Do you mean under the "Butterfly"
of the throttle body? If thats the case, I'd think you have a major injector failure causing flooding and just gushing fuel into the intake...
Do ya'll use ethanol in the Mother country, And if so what is the ratio? Anything over 10% can and will destroy O rings and seals if they are not rated for anything over 10%...Trust me on this...Oh, Hope you're doing well!!!

Reactions: jpjeep26uk
good you are out of hospital and good luck on recovery, time will hopefully pass quickly. check timing, and do a basic tune-up. i would not sell and hopefully some of your fellows wrangler will be able to help. good luck

good you are out of hospital and good luck on recovery, time will hopefully pass quickly. check timing, and do a basic tune-up. i would not sell and hopefully some of your fellows wrangler will be able to help. good luck
Thanks man, it's a bind. I had seizures out of nowhere. Knocked myself out three times, then smacked my head on my low garage door. Ended up in Neuro ward for 11 days with serious concussion. Had to surrender my license for 4 months until I'm well again.

Figured I may as well prep the Jeep to keep me occupied and get me active again, have it tip top for August!!

I'll check the timing if the weather is good tomorrow- Thurs. I assume you mean TDC and compression etc? Distributor at correct place for TDC?

Dude....Keep the faith and wrench on. Two things to check, The ignition ie.fire from the distributor to the plugs...Old wires?
AND is the ECU matched to the motor...2.5 or 4.0? I'm not understanding what you mean by the "Pooling" Do you mean under the "Butterfly"
of the throttle body? If thats the case, I'd think you have a major injector failure causing flooding and just gushing fuel into the intake...
Do ya'll use ethanol in the Mother country, And if so what is the ratio? Anything over 10% can and will destroy O rings and seals if they are not rated for anything over 10%...Trust me on this...Oh, Hope you're doing well!!!
Hi T rex, I'll keep the faith haha, not in the best health at the moment so my patience is a little worn out.
Yeah, perfect match for the ECU.
Yes that's right, The fuel is sitting under the butterfly of the throttle body- the brass looking flap directly under the injector.

My fiancée noticed that when I crank the motor, the injector does not spray, but as soon as I stop cranking, there is a gush of fuel into the area under the butterfly, the intake I guess.

I have a new injector coming over from the US this week so maybe that may fix it.

I don't know about the ethanol, I'll check it out and come back.

Hi all, just wanted to say a huge thanks to everyone who's chipped in since Jan to offer advice on my non starting Jeep.
It started!!

I'm not certain of the fix, but I bought a refurbed ECU and a brand new injector from the US.
Then I fixed the TDC timing and adjusted the distributor and she fired up immediately.
Used to take about 8 chugs and she started on first chug.

Either way, I am over joyed at hearing that engine again after almost three months of all sorts of fixes, parts, cleaning, buying, testing.

Thank you all for the help and for teaching me more about my Jeeps engine bay and electricals.
Much obliged!

Hi all, just wanted to say a huge thanks to everyone who's chipped in since Jan to offer advice on my non starting Jeep.
It started!!

I'm not certain of the fix, but I bought a refurbed ECU and a brand new injector from the US.
Then I fixed the TDC timing and adjusted the distributor and she fired up immediately.
Used to take about 8 chugs and she started on first chug.

Either way, I am over joyed at hearing that engine again after almost three months of all sorts of fixes, parts, cleaning, buying, testing.

Thank you all for the help and for teaching me more about my Jeeps engine bay and electricals.
Much obliged!
Dude...Fantastic!! Insert an Eric Idle "SUPER!!" Here.....:)
Hope your recovery is smooth and swift....