Gas Pedal / Dash Frustration

El Scorcho

I have a 1993 YJ soft top, 4.0 I-6, 5 speed, air conditioning. I was trying to install a new radio and speakers and a Tuffy security glove box. When I went to put the dash back together, the left side did not want to go back in place. I couldn't tell what was keeping it from lining up, so I just pushed it all together with my foot while getting the bolts started with my hands. I replaced the rest of the bolts, put the windshield up and attached it to the sport bars, then went for a test drive. The gas pedal no longer has full range of motion! once home, I could see that the upper part of the throttle pedal pivot is hitting the HVAC system, so the pedal won't pivot for full acceleration. I loosened the dash bolts again and removed some trim panels so I could try to see what's going on. I can't budge the HVAC part (looks like a fan housing?) to make the gas pedal pivot not strike the housing. I have to assume something behind the dash shifted or fell when I loosened the dash, but I can't tell what is going on.

I have a 1993 YJ soft top, 4.0 I-6, 5 speed, air conditioning. I was trying to install a new radio and speakers and a Tuffy security glove box. When I went to put the dash back together, the left side did not want to go back in place. I couldn't tell what was keeping it from lining up, so I just pushed it all together with my foot while getting the bolts started with my hands. I replaced the rest of the bolts, put the windshield up and attached it to the sport bars, then went for a test drive. The gas pedal no longer has full range of motion! once home, I could see that the upper part of the throttle pedal pivot is hitting the HVAC system, so the pedal won't pivot for full acceleration. I loosened the dash bolts again and removed some trim panels so I could try to see what's going on. I can't budge the HVAC part (looks like a fan housing?) to make the gas pedal pivot not strike the housing. I have to assume something behind the dash shifted or fell when I loosened the dash, but I can't tell what is going on.
There is supposed to be a little shelf bracket bolted to the firewall for air conditioning jeeps. The fan housing of the air conditioner sits on that shelf. When you were pushing the dash into place, you were probably clashing the fan housing into that bracket rather than the fan sitting on top of the bracket, that's likely why you had trouble pushing the dash into place. Upload some pictures.

There is supposed to be a little shelf bracket bolted to the firewall for air conditioning jeeps. The fan housing of the air conditioner sits on that shelf. When you were pushing the dash into place, you were probably clashing the fan housing into that bracket rather than the fan sitting on top of the bracket, that's likely why you had trouble pushing the dash into place. Upload some pictures.
I can see that bracket! I don't know if I can get a clear photo of what's going on, but that metal bracket is definitely in the way. It's very hard to get in there, and it's very, very hard to get into a position to push on that housing to move it out of the way of the bracket or up and back onto the bracket. But now that I think I know what the problem is, maybe I can figure it out. Thanks for the tip.

I had the same thing happen to me yesterday. I temporarily used two small pieces of 2x4 to hold the dash away from the gas pedal. So strange since I have not done anything to the inside. It is 103 here in Houston so too hot to work on it. Is this common?