Fuel pump plugs

Atenchion21

Hey there everyone, I wanted to post this as a discussion I have a solution to my problem but I'm not sure how to fix it for the long term this is definitely a bandaid to the problem.

I'm working on my 92 with the inline 6, ax15 transmission (recently swapped in from Powertrain around 5k miles)

So basically what happened is my fuel pump had completely lost power to it. I would be driving around and the jeep would act like it wanted to shut down. A very large drop in RPMs almost 1k sometimes. Id assume the fuel pump was the problem but it bench tests beautifully a ridcously amount of fuel would shoot out testing it. Well then i did some research and dicided the hesitation was the distrubtor after some reasearch (the hesitation did go away now that im thinking of everything). I could make the jeep turn on if i had a power source to the pump easily, but of course remove the power and it shuts off while the plugs were all connected. Bypassing the plugs and sticking some alligator clips on the prongs and shaving some leads into the opposite ends, I go and try to turn it on and it fires up and runs. Beautifully, better than it has in awhile.

I ended up replacing the TPS and IAC and cleaning the throttle body up as well since I was having some weird readings with my multimeter as I was just going over sensors and checking them all, not sure what it could be and just bumped into this, I didn't think it could be it but for good measure I did it anyway for a good tune up.

My new parts list...I kinda just tossed money at her so don't laugh 🤣 I had a lot of fun and a lot of frustration but I think it was worth it.
NEW:
TPS
IAC
CPS
Fuel filter
Distributor
Spark plugs

Not a big list but I ended up buying a OBD1 reader which is telling me something is up with my IAC still. But that's a different topic.

Longest story concluded, is there a way to get new factory oem plugs coming from the harness or another solution? Attached is my crummy solution.

Thanks for reading my long winded story, Joe

75e5e557-458a-4960-82ef-757c87176832.jpg

Reactions: Flyer58
One possible option is to hit up a marine shop or google "weather pack" connectors. If your OEM ones are already cut off or damaged you can re do them with these.

Thanks for commenting guys,

Gilaguy, I was reading about them on a page somewhere, I gave it a quick 5 second look into before moving on. This was before I did my wire job though so I was a bit stressed, lol. I'll definitely look into them again to hopefully find a three wire plug for both sides of the connection. I did end up cutting the plugs totally off already to make do with some quick connects that I later put heat shrink and some electrical tape for good measure. I live in OR in the states and we get tons of rain so I didn't want to screw around with these getting wet or some how get fuel on them and cause a fire.

Flyer58, I ended up falling asleep by the end of the entire thing in my drivers seat, and explained in a half asleep half coma conversation with my dad what I did and he ended up taking the plug apart...i hope that its not destroyed beyond repair...doesnt look like it but probably new prongs on the inside should fix it up im thinking but finding the male end prongs might be hard, I don't know haven't looked into it yet lol.

Reactions: Flyer58