Fuel line / open hose

jpjeep26uk

YJ Enthusiast
Hi, whilst fitting my valve cover back on my '88 2.5, I found a free? open little hose pipe running off a connector at the backcog the cover.
I followed it down through the engine and it's connected to a pipe heading to the back of the Jeep. Seems to be on the same run of pipes as the fuel pipes.
It joins a metal pipe under the drivers door along the frame.
So its connected to a pipe under the car but its open in the engine bay.
Any clues what it is and what it's doing and if it should be connected to something? Its looking quite perished and I'll replace it but just worried it's supposed to be connected to something. Thanks all!

20221126_152204.jpg

20221126_151912.jpg

Hi, whilst fitting my valve cover back on my '88 2.5, I found a free? open little hose pipe running off a connector at the backcog the cover.
I followed it down through the engine and it's connected to a pipe heading to the back of the Jeep. Seems to be on the same run of pipes as the fuel pipes.
It joins a metal pipe under the drivers door along the frame.
So its connected to a pipe under the car but its open in the engine bay.
Any clues what it is and what it's doing and if it should be connected to something? Its looking quite perished and I'll replace it but just worried it's supposed to be connected to something. Thanks all!

View attachment 120622

View attachment 120623
Forgot to add, it's running up from under the car to the engine bay,and shares a connector seen here at the back of the valve cover also used by a thick black tube running horizontally?? Can't believe its connected to anything fuel related and also be open on one end?? Thanks all.

Hi sorry , I'm a little confused. Do you mean take it off the metal pipe under the car and put my finger over the hole to see if there is a vacuum?

Id guess its the gas tank vent line. Do you see a charcoal canister under the hood anywhere? Also make sure that clear vinyl line going to your MAP sensor is 100% air tight or the FI will not work correctly. That massive oversized hose clamp raises doubt to its integrity. And that black plastic can on the back of your valve cover your trying to locate, you said you cleaned it ect, but can you blow air thru it easily more less? It like has baffeling in it thus the reason you cannot poke a wire thru it. Dont break it, you may not find another.

Id guess its the gas tank vent line. Do you see a charcoal canister under the hood anywhere? Also make sure that clear vinyl line going to your MAP sensor is 100% air tight or the FI will not work correctly. That massive oversized hose clamp raises doubt to its integrity. And that black plastic can on the back of your valve cover your trying to locate, you said you cleaned it ect, but can you blow air thru it easily more less? It like has baffeling in it thus the reason you cannot poke a wire thru it. Dont break it, you may not find another.
Hi Gilaguy, yes there is a charcoal canister right below my throttle body area. Circular thing. I'll check it's not got an open hole same size as the pipe.
Yep, that see through pipe was the only thing I had lying around to reconnect the feed. The original upon inspection was absolutely crumbling off at one end. Just waiting for another correct sized pipe. Yes, the jubilee clip is massive but its in on pretty tight! Also got some proper sizes in the post en route.
The baffled can on the rocker cover was clotted with oily greasy stuff so I immersed it in degreaser and now you can blow easily through it. Much better. I saw the baffles after I'd degrease it so I never poked anything in it. Before all this I took through rocker cover off and I promise you it was worse than the baddest one on YouTube. Absolutely coated in thick strandy oil and goo and then 60 mins of chiselling carbon off it. The two vent holes were completely blocked with sludge. Clean as a whistle now.

There is a possibility the extra empty metal line was put in place as a "norm" for production runs. IIRC it was a German export vehicle and there may never had been anything there to start with. Perhaps you could grab a buddy and hook a hose to it and use some air,blow or gentle compressor air, and listen where its coming out. At one point in the USA we had Ca versions of smog, and Federal versions which had differing equipment. Here we still cant get some import stuff as emissions or safety equipment wont pass our communist inspection process.

There is a possibility the extra empty metal line was put in place as a "norm" for production runs. IIRC it was a German export vehicle and there may never had been anything there to start with. Perhaps you could grab a buddy and hook a hose to it and use some air,blow or gentle compressor air, and listen where its coming out. At one point in the USA we had Ca versions of smog, and Federal versions which had differing equipment. Here we still cant get some import stuff as emissions or safety equipment wont pass our communist inspection process.
That's interesting stuff. So much more to an old Jeep! Yeah,I'll try that blow idea at the weekend and see / hear what gives. You're probably right, it probably a left over from production that want hooked for German exports. Thanks for the pointer