Front Brake Calipers

Flyer58

YJ Enthusiast
AAArrrgghhh. What started as a simple front wheel alignment and brake bleed has turned into a lot more.

The front right caliper was easy to bleed and the fluid was very dark, probably been a long while. The front left is a problem. The dang bleeder screw is rusted solidly in place. Looks like some previously owner gave up on it because the screw is completely rounded over from several tries with vice grips. I gave it my shot with a persuasive torch and still no luck.

Considering their age I checked the local friendly auto parts store and it looks like I can get rebuilt calipers and new brake hoses for both sides for less than $100. The pads still have a lot of life to them.

So for a $2 screw it's turned into $100 job. Could be worse. At least the alignment is now good.

I think this sort of story is all too familiar to most of us.

Can't tell you how many times I've started working on the Jeep expecting to only spend X amount of money, and then I end up having to spend even more.

I've not gotten in the habit of padding prices and expecting to spend at least double what I would have to spend otherwise.

Reactions: Flyer58
I have no choice now. I went on a short road trip to try out the newly oberhauled engine and transmission through the surrounding neighborhoods and after about 10 miles I started noticing the Jeep was pulling to the right and slower to accelerate. As I came to a stop sign I got the all too familiar scent of hot brakes. Good thing I was only a mile from home. The front right brake was boiling hot. Parts on order.

I also filled the gas tank and found the needle doesn't go above 1/4 tank. Will it ever end? LoL.

• Wow
Reactions: Chris
I guess the good news is that new calipers are cheap.

I had the same problem with the fuel tank sending unit on my TJ. I dropped the tank 3 times, each time thinking I had fixed it.

Talk about a pain in the butt.

Yes the price is very reasonable to the point of why mess with the old ones when I could just swap them out.
Someone has has been in there before because the two caliper retaining bolts on the left are 10mm but on the right they're 12mm. And while we're mixing things up lets make the banjo bolt SAE 9/16 lol.

I had to change out the hard brake lines in back so I bought a 25ft roll and knowing the front would need them too. Sure enough the hard line to rubber hose connections are locked up tight together. I'll just cut'em off in the morning and get bending new ones. Faster than wasting time on rusty threads and lines.

I'll run around and see what my MPG's are to estimate when the tank is low in case I need to drop it. I haven't looked into that at all. Probably start with checking the ground and connectors at the tank and gauge.
Cheers.

On my TJ it was the sending unit itself inside the tank (which is part of the fuel pump assembly) that was bad. Sometimes it worked, other times it didn't.

Dropping the fuel tank is much easier with an ATV jack, I'll tell you that!

Chris, I'll also be looking into the front vacuum motor fix. In the YJ How-to Guides section I had a few questions about your repair.

Yesterday I spent three hours bending new front brake lines that would make a Windows 3.1 screensaver proud. Leak free just need to bleed them.

Oh man, I wish I could help with that one, but I didn't actually go that repair myself. I copied that article from another place as I found it very informative. :(

Looks like a Windows 3.1 screensaver :)

FB1.jpg

Reactions: Drewbert