From Miami to Boston

YJ103

Years ago I had and 87 YJ that I loved. It had no top other than a bikini top, no doors, didn't need a key to start it (I didn't even have a key for it), and had tons of miles but never let me down. Ski mountains up here used to offer "Jeep Ski Free Days" where if you showed up in a jeep, you skied for free. You should have seen the looks I got as my friends and I pulled up already dressed in full ski gear- once while it was actually snowing- to hit the slopes. In the summer, my jeep would disappear late at night from the marina as buddies would offer to take whatever girl they met that night to the beach for late night pizza. The stories that jeep could tell.

So here we are, 20 years later, in search of another jeep so that my wife and kids can have the opportunity to create some stories of their own.

I like the old stuff. I have an old Harley. I have a classic ski boat. I didn't want a TJ, JK, or whatever they're called today. I might as well buy an Audi convertible. I wanted the simplicity of a CJ or YJ. It took a couple years but I found one that had just come up from MIami where it had spent its entire life. I'm in the Northeast, and finding a clean, unmolested jeep that isn't rusted through is a chore. It had been sitting unused since 2018 and the PO only put 1k miles on it since relocating, but she had gone through the jeep during that time and done tie-rods, ball joints, new tires, some miscellaneous engine work (nothing major), and had all the repair history for the jeep. SCORE! Unfortunately, it has the 2.5L w/ auto, but my wife wont drive a stick. I can live with that for now. It's a good place to start.

I'm more of a resto-mod type of guy so this wont be a heavily modified ride, but I already have plans for upgrades this winter, so I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes.

20201004_093056.jpg

20201004_092937.jpg

20201004_093008.jpg

20201004_093022.jpg

20201004_093035.jpg

20201004_093123.jpg

20200921_181533.jpg

Last edited:
Nice find, enjoy! The Hunter Green Metallic is my favorite YJ color, and is what my 94 is as well. Don't worry about the 2.5 auto too much, you can swap that later if you so choose.

Hands down one of the coolest color combos. That interior color on that exterior just look sublime!

Well, so far its been mostly just getting things that weren't working, working. Not that there's been much- got the heater blower motor working and replaced the overhead speakers. Cosmetically, though, I painted the dash and the door interiors. Doors were really faded and just did the rest to match. They look like new now. Also got some dash lights working. Went with LED replacements and what a difference!

20201114_172644.jpg

20201114_172722.jpg

20201114_173127.jpg

Well, so far its been mostly just getting things that weren't working, working. Not that there's been much- got the heater blower motor working and replaced the overhead speakers. Cosmetically, though, I painted the dash and the door interiors. Doors were really faded and just did the rest to match. They look like new now. Also got some dash lights working. Went with LED replacements and what a difference!

View attachment 116578

View attachment 116579

View attachment 116580
Did you use SEM trim spray for the interior re-painting? It came out really really well.

Damn man, that turned out awesome!

What color specifically did you use? Now I kind of want to do mine the same color :LOL:

It’s a good color. I stumbled on it at Walmart last year and sprayed my door panels. Then had Lowe’s color match me some exterior and painted my hard top