First Jeep, ‘87 YJ value?

MWS1994

Ok, first off I don’t ACTUALLY own a Jeep just thinking about it. My wife really likes the Wranglers and it would be an excuse for me to get one lol. My coworker is going to be selling his and I was curious if you all think it’s a good deal and what the average current value issince there aren’t many around my area to compare to.

He’s asking $5k. It’s a 1987 YJ, has around 150k (was towed behind a motorhome a lot), has the 4.0l and is a manual. It runs good, just has some clear coat peeling.

AE23A18B-2FA0-473D-B056-102315F01B2C.jpeg

0E85A54F-5D46-4263-B69C-4A0E63ABA2A8.jpeg

B4B0BAB9-54EC-4D61-8D63-33C33D22C5E3.jpeg

Id say its not a bad deal.

How does the frame look?

Jeep frames are notorious for having rust issues depending on location.

Be sure to drive it a few miles with the wife. With factory shock or even some cheaper branded aftermarket shocks the ride can be very rough. The leaf spring suspension is a bit antiquated and rough for for most people.

The only issue I see is that it has a carb and not fuel injected. At higher altitudes it’s going to loose some power and climbing steep angles can cause fuel starvation. That being said I have an 89 4.2L 5 speed and regularly go to 8K+ feet with it from my 1.5k home. Does it have doors? I’d try to knock the price down a bit. Drive it for a year before you do any upgrades to get a feel for it and see if the jeep lifestyle is for you. You can always resell it and get your money back as it will not lose it’s value. How old are the tires and has general maintenance been kept up? If you can have a buddy who knows jeeps drive it. As always rust can be an issue but if it is a western jeep that usually is not an issue. Without seeing it in person, it looks like a nice jeep to start with.

Reactions: jeepjoe43
Sounds a little high for an '87, unless it's SUPER clean, bone stock and unmolested.
Gave $4500 for my '91 and thought I gave too much for it, but they are getting rare and collectible.

The only issue I see is that it has a carb and not fuel injected. At higher altitudes it’s going to loose some power and climbing steep angles can cause fuel starvation. That being said I have an 89 4.2L 5 speed and regularly go to 8K+ feet with it from my 1.5k home. Does it have doors? I’d try to knock the price down a bit. Drive it for a year before you do any upgrades to get a feel for it and see if the jeep lifestyle is for you. You can always resell it and get your money back as it will not lose it’s value. How old are the tires and has general maintenance been kept up? If you can have a buddy who knows jeeps drive it. As always rust can be an issue but if it is a western jeep that usually is not an issue. Without seeing it in person, it looks like a nice jeep to start with.
Brand new tires and full hard doors come with it. It’s a western Jeep so I’m not too worried about rust.

8C9EFA59-BF4E-48EE-811C-39007BB349F8.jpeg

Sage advice on driving it for a year before doing any upgrades!
I'm an experienced Jeeper, knew what I wanted to do, and I wish I'd had that advice...
Only reason I proceeded as I did, she needed tires and I wasn't going to waste money putting what it had, back on.
Instead, I ended up spending a WHOLE LOT MORE money on everything else.
But in the end, she's worth it.

When I bought my '88 I didn't look at the carb too close. Asked the PO about the car and he said "yes".
I was a little disappointed to later realize it was TBI.

Give me a carb, points and condenser... it may not run as well but I can keep it running forever. The fewer electronics the better.

When I bought my '88 I didn't look at the carb too close. Asked the PO about the car and he said "yes".
I was a little disappointed to later realize it was TBI.

Give me a carb, points and condenser... it may not run as well but I can keep it running forever. The fewer electronics the better.
I'm with you dude!
But, we got what we got and short of swap, no escaping it.

Went to go look at it. Needs some things but nothing major. Speakers don’t work, back seat isn’t bolted in, blinker lever is a little stiff, things like that. Structurally I don’t see any rust.

5AECB8FC-6C33-4015-BA9F-2B921AB4213F.jpeg

8811262A-993F-41D0-86B3-6C4FD9395CF1.jpeg

EE0755BE-129A-4E48-96CF-F38A026253B8.jpeg

5D908378-69EB-4BA0-B08A-84F7CC950D40.jpeg

6E7A0011-C6F7-4114-9A70-F4D477239E59.jpeg

6F6ACEDA-D3D5-418C-B123-B0D01CF58934.jpeg

9D78A71B-ECCF-42D1-891C-A0B46C616464.jpeg

30E04A8B-A44C-4CFC-BDB8-A3DB3EA6EC1D.jpeg

Went to go look at it. Needs some things but nothing major. Speakers don’t work, back seat isn’t bolted in, blinker lever is a little stiff, things like that. Structurally I don’t see any rust.

View attachment 117572

View attachment 117573

View attachment 117574

View attachment 117575

View attachment 117576

View attachment 117577

View attachment 117578

View attachment 117579
I don't see anything that says run away.
Looks pretty clean for it's age though the springs look like they've seen better days.
Not seeing any leaks either, that's a good sign.
It's your money, it's your call, I would be tempted to jump on it.

It looks good for a 34 yr old vehicle. I’d buy it. It needs some young blood and energy to get it back to it’s glory days. I see years of fun in it for you.

Nice and clean underside thats for sure. I have had great luck finding unmolested, one owner vehicles over the years. That one fits the bill pretty much. Id look at it this way, If he went $4500 id say that's a steal. So another $500 for a unabused jeep...do it. ;)

Good deal for sure. Like these guys said, just drive it and enjoy it before any mods. I wouldn't rush into lifting it or big tires. To me that ruins them.