Exhaust question

Bob Gooud

I had the exhaust replaced on my stock 95. Converter and muffler. Everything was great for a few hundred miles. Then it stated getting loud again. Took back to the shop, they said the engine exhaust was running too hot causing the converter to burn and the pieces blowing thur muffler destroying it. The engine temp gauge has not indicated overheating nor does the engine in any other way. Haven't really checked the gas mileage, but it doesn't seem to use as much as I expected. Seem like a line of BULL to me. Is it???

The only way the engine would be "running to hot" as they insinuate is if its running to lean. If chunks of the cat were in the muff then you likely would also have a pretty noticeable rattle in the cat and muff. Had this happen on a dodge truck where little balls of cat metal were trapped in the tailipe and could not pass thru the screen Dodge puts in the last 6" of exhaust. For chits and giggles you could pull any codes up and see if you have a lean condition. Basically it sounds like BS to me as you suggest. I will say my 91 sounded quieter after a new muff went on and now its sounds like a turbo muff or similar. Id say cheap mufflers are the case. I have nothing upstream to come apart either other than pistons and engine innards.

The only way the engine would be "running to hot" as they insinuate is if its running to lean. If chunks of the cat were in the muff then you likely would also have a pretty noticeable rattle in the cat and muff. Had this happen on a dodge truck where little balls of cat metal were trapped in the tailipe and could not pass thru the screen Dodge puts in the last 6" of exhaust. For chits and giggles you could pull any codes up and see if you have a lean condition. Basically it sounds like BS to me as you suggest. I will say my 91 sounded quieter after a new muff went on and now its sounds like a turbo muff or similar. Id say cheap mufflers are the case. I have nothing upstream to come apart either other than pistons and engine innards.
Thank you. am taking to another shop

Good plan!
A little shop in CO tried to snake my Mother into a trans rebuild by showing her a trans pan with some shavings in it.
She'd brought my Dad's truck in for a clutch, it ended up at AAMCO i think.