Engine Swap

jpjeep26uk

YJ Enthusiast
Hi all, just wondering how hard it is to take a 2.5l out and replace with another 2.5l?
Thinking of doing this with my still kaput 89r. Tried everything under the sun and three mechanics and she still wont run anywhere near smooth.
Thanks!

how is your health? is there a jeep dealer close to you ? i am not a dealership person, but all the good work and time that you put into the problems and it not working right, can you take it to a dealership and have them check for problems. and then you do the actural work. swapping engines is not a real big deal, but it would be better to keep what you got. good luck and safe driving.

how is your health? is there a jeep dealer close to you ? i am not a dealership person, but all the good work and time that you put into the problems and it not working right, can you take it to a dealership and have them check for problems. and then you do the actural work. swapping engines is not a real big deal, but it would be better to keep what you got. good luck and safe driving.

Health is improving steadily. Thanks for asking. Still no actual firm diagnosis yet which is kind of frustrating but definitely improving. Allowed to drive again recently which is a huge deal for me.
No dealer near me will touch the Jeep. Trust me, I've been to four and they all say the same thing. If we can't plug it in we can't help you. Our technicians aren't trained on these older vehicles. They are trained on diags and module swaps. It's infuriating. I probably know more about it than the dealerships do. I haven't seen it in almost 8 weeks now apart from a photo of it being towed from one workhop to another. I just want it back now, working or not, so I can make a decision etc.
I was asking about the engine as I was thinking of buying a donor jeep. But now I'm thinking that may be a complete waste of money just for an engine.

Surely suck to invest in a donor jeep only to find the same problems as its not internal to the engine. Considering all the issues you've had It just dont seem like an internal engine issue. Shoot.....if the cam/ignition timing is correct, you have compression, fuel and spark it will fire. All the other BS sounds like its in the electrics. Still puking black smoke? have they done a comp test, fuel pressure test? All that basic stuff?

Reactions: jpjeep26uk
Hi Gila, Heres the very latest as of this morning.
The latest mechanic has had to order a 'special timing device for this Jeep'. As hes certain it's all centred around a timing issue.
According to the manuals, the timing is all controlled by the ECU, and all you can do is muck about with the distributor a bit. Is this true?, is there anything I can share with him to help him get the timing spot on with a gun pointed at the timing mark etc?? At least I think its a gun he's had to buy, not sure what else you'd need to do the timing. Thanks!!

IIRC you have a 90 which has the only year of the TBI injection. Mine was a 91 which has the later style injection which was kept for the later production jeeps. When I replaced the failing dist in my 91 I screwed up and had it one tooth off. It ran, started and drove until I went to get gas and it would not restart. Yes, you can set the initial timing and the comp will adjust itself to a point. I say that meaning it can only compensate so far. This seems to be the same for many of the vehicles Ive owned (vehicle junkie 200+ and counting) Typically having the ignition timing off causes hard cranking, rough running, possible back firing up thru the carb or T Body, may smell funny running due to its poor running. low power and that type of issue. The timing should not slip out of wack unless you have a failure of some sort. Dist gear pin broke and the gear spun or the can teeth went away, it came loose and spun a bit perhaps the timing chain slipped a tooth or two which would screw up cam and ignition timing. Just so hard to guess on a comp controlled vehicle without more diagnostic testing. The computers do go bad in these things, its not uncommon by any means. Possibly talk with the folks at www.wranglerfix.com aask if they have any insight into whats going on at this point on your YJ.

IIRC you have a 90 which has the only year of the TBI injection. Mine was a 91 which has the later style injection which was kept for the later production jeeps. When I replaced the failing dist in my 91 I screwed up and had it one tooth off. It ran, started and drove until I went to get gas and it would not restart. Yes, you can set the initial timing and the comp will adjust itself to a point. I say that meaning it can only compensate so far. This seems to be the same for many of the vehicles Ive owned (vehicle junkie 200+ and counting) Typically having the ignition timing off causes hard cranking, rough running, possible back firing up thru the carb or T Body, may smell funny running due to its poor running. low power and that type of issue. The timing should not slip out of wack unless you have a failure of some sort. Dist gear pin broke and the gear spun or the can teeth went away, it came loose and spun a bit perhaps the timing chain slipped a tooth or two which would screw up cam and ignition timing. Just so hard to guess on a comp controlled vehicle without more diagnostic testing. The computers do go bad in these things, its not uncommon by any means. Possibly talk with the folks at www.wranglerfix.com aask if they have any insight into whats going on at this point on your YJ.

Wowser! $1292 for an ECU!! Gulp!!!

From? lets not forget..........J just, E empty E every P pocket.

That's Wranglerfix quote. Way beyond my budget at the moment. I already spent £700 on two ECUs in March. Haven't tried the 2ndnone as its for 1989 XJ which I was told would be the same as my YJ ecu. That'll be the next thing to try! Yeah just empty your pockets.....I'm living that quote for real.

Just spoke to the mechanic. No joy with the timing tool. Still won't run. Says it more difficult to analyse the exact fault as I've put so many new things on since January to make it work. I kind of want it back on my drive now so I can start again and tick everything off. It's warmer now with more daylight and I'm a lot fitter than I was so I can tackle it. 9 weeks since I even saw it and not an inch of ground taken!! Grrrr haha.

Mechanic has now given up. Apparently needs a 'Carb Conversion' as it's over fuelling through the TBI and no amount of investigating has brought out the reason. I've asked for it back and I'll have to make some tough decisions. £1000s down the drain.

Surely suck to invest in a donor jeep only to find the same problems as its not internal to the engine. Considering all the issues you've had It just dont seem like an internal engine issue. Shoot.....if the cam/ignition timing is correct, you have compression, fuel and spark it will fire. All the other BS sounds like its in the electrics. Still puking black smoke? have they done a comp test, fuel pressure test? All that basic stuff?

...just following up on this

....apparently they have done the comp test and fuel pressure test.
They say theres simply too much fuel pumping into the throttle and flooding all the time.

They asked me to import a replacement fuel pressure sensor so I guess that didn't work.

They today report that the only way to get it running is with a conversion from tbi to carburettor. I wouldn't know where to start.

I'm having it brought back home so I can at least keep an eye on it and maybe try a few things myself before making any decisions to spend more money.

£1400 and counting this year so far and it hasn't driven a whole mile since Jan.

jp26, sorry that you havent got it fix yet. i would like to make a suggestion, when you get your baby back home, work with just one person on this forum and start with the basic, it seem to me that " GILAGUY23 " would be a good person to personal work with you. i have read some of his suggestion on other questions and it worked well. it keeps it to one direction and your not walking all other the floor, so to speak. keep us informed. good luck and safe driving{when you get it fixed}

jp26, sorry that you havent got it fix yet. i would like to make a suggestion, when you get your baby back home, work with just one person on this forum and start with the basic, it seem to me that " GILAGUY23 " would be a good person to personal work with you. i have read some of his suggestion on other questions and it worked well. it keeps it to one direction and your not walking all other the floor, so to speak. keep us informed. good luck and safe driving{when you get it fixed}

That's a good idea diesel I'll save my posts until I finally have a good one to post haha. Thanks for the advice. Most welcome.

jp26, i am very sorry if i offended you. it was not my intend. your posts are always good.

jp26, i am very sorry if i offended you. it was not my intend. your posts are always good.

What? No way. Didn't even occur to me. I was just joking that my posts for about 8 months have all been the same haha, never any progress and never a step forward, all negative. I could write a manual on my own Jeep!

Likely cost you far to much but I wonder if you could use a Howell FI kit. It eliminates all the smog crap and is pretty basic with common FI parts pretty much.