Engine Swap Mount Issue

bodean73g

Supporting Member
I am restoring my 92 YJ. While I'm in there, I'm upgrading from the 2.5I to the 4.0 (98' XJ Cherokee). I cannot get the mounts right. what am I doing wrong. the engine mount brackets I bought from Extreme Terrain fit a YJ with a 4.0 engine. The original frame mounts I kept from the 2.5i and I'm reinstalling them. the engine mounts (I believe) are I6 mounts from either a TJ or a YJ. the passenger side will not flush up to the frame and needs to turn clockwise from 12 to 1 pm position to do so. I am stumped on what I have wrong. I'm thinking the engine mounts are incorrect, the brackets and frame mounts are good. What say you? Also, I removed the small adaptor plate (passenger side) that came with the 2.5I and I had to drill holes in the frame mount for the new brackets I got from Extreme Terrain. Is that correct?

IMG_9276.jpeg

IMG_9278.jpeg

IMG_9277.jpeg

Link to what you bought bracket wise from Extreme Terrain? I don’t see them selling those. I would have assumed you were using the ones that came on the engine from an XJ, which are narrower and won’t work, and would create the problem you’re experiencing.

Verify mounts (the cushions) are from a 4.0. TJ uses a different part number from XJ/YJ but they fit the same, so any of those will work.

The 2.5 frame brackets are not usually ideal. Supposedly all 91-95 2.5L had the little engine mount cradle piece that the right cushion sits on. I don’t see it in your photos, did your right mount have that when you took it apart? Pic below for visual - part on the right.

IMG_5759.jpeg

I see now that I missed in the first post the adapter has been removed and you are drilling the old mount. I’m not really sure how that will affect things. I would imagine you need to raise that side mount up on the frame by the amount equal to the thickness of the adapter. However, I don’t think that’s going to put your brackets at a good spot for the 4.0.

Also, the 4.0 has different mounts welded to the frame. You probably ought to buy 4.0 frame horns. I think throttle down kustoms sells them because they build and sell frames.

Reactions: ytradio